Jan 28, 2014, 3:38 PM EDT
Capitals forward Brooks Laich is questionable for tonight’s game in Buffalo. Yep, it’s about that troublesome groin of his again.
“I’m sure he’s going through so many bumps and bruises that I’m sure he’s hypersensitive to what’s going on down there, which is natural for what he’s gone through,” Washington coach Adam Oates said, per NHL.com. “You look at every single game, you get hit so many times you don’t realize. Faceoffs you get poked and prodded that maybe it was just something like that that he thinks, ‘Oh no, here we go again.’ And he skated today and he felt pretty good.
“I’m sure in his own mind he wants to make sure he doesn’t set it back. He said to me, ‘What if I play [Tuesday] and I can’t play Thursday?’ I’m like, ‘Well, you can’t play [Tuesday].’ But I don’t know how you think like that. He’s obviously over-thinking it and hopefully he felt good out there and he can conquer it.”
Not even two weeks ago, Laich was saying how “great” he felt physically, so this has to be frustrating. The 30-year-old has just five goals and four assists in the 38 games he’s managed to play this season. Not the kind of production the Caps need from a veteran that takes up $4.5 million in cap space.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)