Jan 28, 2014, 3:38 PM EDT
Capitals forward Brooks Laich is questionable for tonight’s game in Buffalo. Yep, it’s about that troublesome groin of his again.
“I’m sure he’s going through so many bumps and bruises that I’m sure he’s hypersensitive to what’s going on down there, which is natural for what he’s gone through,” Washington coach Adam Oates said, per NHL.com. “You look at every single game, you get hit so many times you don’t realize. Faceoffs you get poked and prodded that maybe it was just something like that that he thinks, ‘Oh no, here we go again.’ And he skated today and he felt pretty good.
“I’m sure in his own mind he wants to make sure he doesn’t set it back. He said to me, ‘What if I play [Tuesday] and I can’t play Thursday?’ I’m like, ‘Well, you can’t play [Tuesday].’ But I don’t know how you think like that. He’s obviously over-thinking it and hopefully he felt good out there and he can conquer it.”
Not even two weeks ago, Laich was saying how “great” he felt physically, so this has to be frustrating. The 30-year-old has just five goals and four assists in the 38 games he’s managed to play this season. Not the kind of production the Caps need from a veteran that takes up $4.5 million in cap space.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 21
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 33
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 27
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 25
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 24
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 58
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6