Jan 28, 2014, 3:38 PM EDT
Capitals forward Brooks Laich is questionable for tonight’s game in Buffalo. Yep, it’s about that troublesome groin of his again.
“I’m sure he’s going through so many bumps and bruises that I’m sure he’s hypersensitive to what’s going on down there, which is natural for what he’s gone through,” Washington coach Adam Oates said, per NHL.com. “You look at every single game, you get hit so many times you don’t realize. Faceoffs you get poked and prodded that maybe it was just something like that that he thinks, ‘Oh no, here we go again.’ And he skated today and he felt pretty good.
“I’m sure in his own mind he wants to make sure he doesn’t set it back. He said to me, ‘What if I play [Tuesday] and I can’t play Thursday?’ I’m like, ‘Well, you can’t play [Tuesday].’ But I don’t know how you think like that. He’s obviously over-thinking it and hopefully he felt good out there and he can conquer it.”
Not even two weeks ago, Laich was saying how “great” he felt physically, so this has to be frustrating. The 30-year-old has just five goals and four assists in the 38 games he’s managed to play this season. Not the kind of production the Caps need from a veteran that takes up $4.5 million in cap space.
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 38
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 0
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 24
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7