Jan 28, 2014, 9:26 AM EDT
NBCSN continues its coverage of the 2013-14 campaign tonight when the Buffalo Sabres host the Washington Capitals at First Niagara Center at 7:30 p.m. ET. In addition to NBCSN, you can also watch the game online.
Things haven’t been great for either the Washington Capitals or the Buffalo Sabres of late.
We saw the Sabres get shut out on the road 3-0 by the Pittsburgh Penguins last night on NBCSN. Ryan Miller did everything he could while Marc-Andre Fleury stoned them. The loss was their sixth in the past seven games. If there’s a silver lining here for Buffalo it comes in the form of the Capitals.
The Caps enter tonight’s tilt losers of seven of the past eight games and 11 of the past 14. Washington’s 5-0 win against Montreal on Saturday night stopped what was a seven-game losing streak and was able to get some positive mojo working for them.
Editor’s Note: Pro Hockey Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $2,000 Fantasy Hockey league for Tuesday night’s NHL games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $400. Starts Tuesday at 7pm ET. Here’s the FanDuel link.
The wild thing for the Caps? Despite all of the losses, they’re still just three points out of the final wild card spot in the East playoff race. The struggles of the Eastern Conference on the whole are helping keep the Caps (and just about everyone else) in the hunt.
The Caps will have to try to keep the wins coming without Mikhail Grabovski who is out with a lower-body injury. Alex Ovechkin returned against Montreal after missing time with a groin injury and had an immediate impact with a goal and an assist. They’ll also likely catch a break not having to face Miller as he played last night.
Miller earned two shootout wins against the Caps already this season stopping 77 of 79 shots and nine out of nine in the shootout in those two games. Instead, they’ll likely face Jhonas Enroth who has had a strong season as well in spite of his 1-10-4 record. The Capitals will counter with either Braden Holtby or Michal Neuvirth in goal to stop a Sabres offense that’s last in the league.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)