Jan 28, 2014, 9:26 AM EDT
NBCSN continues its coverage of the 2013-14 campaign tonight when the Buffalo Sabres host the Washington Capitals at First Niagara Center at 7:30 p.m. ET. In addition to NBCSN, you can also watch the game online.
Things haven’t been great for either the Washington Capitals or the Buffalo Sabres of late.
We saw the Sabres get shut out on the road 3-0 by the Pittsburgh Penguins last night on NBCSN. Ryan Miller did everything he could while Marc-Andre Fleury stoned them. The loss was their sixth in the past seven games. If there’s a silver lining here for Buffalo it comes in the form of the Capitals.
The Caps enter tonight’s tilt losers of seven of the past eight games and 11 of the past 14. Washington’s 5-0 win against Montreal on Saturday night stopped what was a seven-game losing streak and was able to get some positive mojo working for them.
Editor’s Note: Pro Hockey Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $2,000 Fantasy Hockey league for Tuesday night’s NHL games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $400. Starts Tuesday at 7pm ET. Here’s the FanDuel link.
The wild thing for the Caps? Despite all of the losses, they’re still just three points out of the final wild card spot in the East playoff race. The struggles of the Eastern Conference on the whole are helping keep the Caps (and just about everyone else) in the hunt.
The Caps will have to try to keep the wins coming without Mikhail Grabovski who is out with a lower-body injury. Alex Ovechkin returned against Montreal after missing time with a groin injury and had an immediate impact with a goal and an assist. They’ll also likely catch a break not having to face Miller as he played last night.
Miller earned two shootout wins against the Caps already this season stopping 77 of 79 shots and nine out of nine in the shootout in those two games. Instead, they’ll likely face Jhonas Enroth who has had a strong season as well in spite of his 1-10-4 record. The Capitals will counter with either Braden Holtby or Michal Neuvirth in goal to stop a Sabres offense that’s last in the league.
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 9
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 11
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 7
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 29
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)