Jan 28, 2014, 1:56 PM EST
Flyers defenseman Andrej Meszaros will be a healthy scratch tonight against Detroit, marking the 22nd time he’s been in such a position this season.
Needless to say, it’s taking its toll.
“It’s tough on your confidence, tough on your game, it’s tough on everything,” Meszaros said, per the Courier-Post. “But, nothing I can do about it.”
The scratch will be Meszaros’ second in a row — he was parked for Philly’s 6-1 loss to Boston on Saturday as well — and it comes after a stretch in which he dressed in 16 straight games, scoring three goals and 10 points.
So obviously, offense wasn’t the problem.
Defense sure was, though, especially on this goal in a 5-2 loss to Columbus last week:
That was Mezsaros getting walked by Nathan Horton for the Jackets’ fifth and final goal of the evening. It was after that game Flyers head coach Craig Berube decided to park the 28-year-old Slovak, who will be representing his country at the Winter Olympics in Sochi.
“Mez’s defensive play has fallen and I didn’t like his game in Columbus, so I went with [Erik Gustafsson],” Berube explained. “It’s just what I did.”
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (67)