Jan 28, 2014, 1:56 PM EDT
Flyers defenseman Andrej Meszaros will be a healthy scratch tonight against Detroit, marking the 22nd time he’s been in such a position this season.
Needless to say, it’s taking its toll.
“It’s tough on your confidence, tough on your game, it’s tough on everything,” Meszaros said, per the Courier-Post. “But, nothing I can do about it.”
The scratch will be Meszaros’ second in a row — he was parked for Philly’s 6-1 loss to Boston on Saturday as well — and it comes after a stretch in which he dressed in 16 straight games, scoring three goals and 10 points.
So obviously, offense wasn’t the problem.
Defense sure was, though, especially on this goal in a 5-2 loss to Columbus last week:
That was Mezsaros getting walked by Nathan Horton for the Jackets’ fifth and final goal of the evening. It was after that game Flyers head coach Craig Berube decided to park the 28-year-old Slovak, who will be representing his country at the Winter Olympics in Sochi.
“Mez’s defensive play has fallen and I didn’t like his game in Columbus, so I went with [Erik Gustafsson],” Berube explained. “It’s just what I did.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)