Jan 28, 2014, 1:56 PM EST
Flyers defenseman Andrej Meszaros will be a healthy scratch tonight against Detroit, marking the 22nd time he’s been in such a position this season.
Needless to say, it’s taking its toll.
“It’s tough on your confidence, tough on your game, it’s tough on everything,” Meszaros said, per the Courier-Post. “But, nothing I can do about it.”
The scratch will be Meszaros’ second in a row — he was parked for Philly’s 6-1 loss to Boston on Saturday as well — and it comes after a stretch in which he dressed in 16 straight games, scoring three goals and 10 points.
So obviously, offense wasn’t the problem.
Defense sure was, though, especially on this goal in a 5-2 loss to Columbus last week:
That was Mezsaros getting walked by Nathan Horton for the Jackets’ fifth and final goal of the evening. It was after that game Flyers head coach Craig Berube decided to park the 28-year-old Slovak, who will be representing his country at the Winter Olympics in Sochi.
“Mez’s defensive play has fallen and I didn’t like his game in Columbus, so I went with [Erik Gustafsson],” Berube explained. “It’s just what I did.”
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 7
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 3
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 9
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 20
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56
- Eakins calls for patience in Edmonton, whether fans ‘like it or not’ 15