Jan 28, 2014, 1:56 PM EDT
Flyers defenseman Andrej Meszaros will be a healthy scratch tonight against Detroit, marking the 22nd time he’s been in such a position this season.
Needless to say, it’s taking its toll.
“It’s tough on your confidence, tough on your game, it’s tough on everything,” Meszaros said, per the Courier-Post. “But, nothing I can do about it.”
The scratch will be Meszaros’ second in a row — he was parked for Philly’s 6-1 loss to Boston on Saturday as well — and it comes after a stretch in which he dressed in 16 straight games, scoring three goals and 10 points.
So obviously, offense wasn’t the problem.
Defense sure was, though, especially on this goal in a 5-2 loss to Columbus last week:
That was Mezsaros getting walked by Nathan Horton for the Jackets’ fifth and final goal of the evening. It was after that game Flyers head coach Craig Berube decided to park the 28-year-old Slovak, who will be representing his country at the Winter Olympics in Sochi.
“Mez’s defensive play has fallen and I didn’t like his game in Columbus, so I went with [Erik Gustafsson],” Berube explained. “It’s just what I did.”
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 29
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 37
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 17
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (44)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)