Jan 28, 2014, 1:56 PM EDT
Flyers defenseman Andrej Meszaros will be a healthy scratch tonight against Detroit, marking the 22nd time he’s been in such a position this season.
Needless to say, it’s taking its toll.
“It’s tough on your confidence, tough on your game, it’s tough on everything,” Meszaros said, per the Courier-Post. “But, nothing I can do about it.”
The scratch will be Meszaros’ second in a row — he was parked for Philly’s 6-1 loss to Boston on Saturday as well — and it comes after a stretch in which he dressed in 16 straight games, scoring three goals and 10 points.
So obviously, offense wasn’t the problem.
Defense sure was, though, especially on this goal in a 5-2 loss to Columbus last week:
That was Mezsaros getting walked by Nathan Horton for the Jackets’ fifth and final goal of the evening. It was after that game Flyers head coach Craig Berube decided to park the 28-year-old Slovak, who will be representing his country at the Winter Olympics in Sochi.
“Mez’s defensive play has fallen and I didn’t like his game in Columbus, so I went with [Erik Gustafsson],” Berube explained. “It’s just what I did.”
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 1
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 38
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 3
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 47
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 54
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)