Jan 28, 2014, 11:17 AM EST
One day after joining the team for a full skate, Isles d-man Travis Hamonic has been placed on injured reserve — retroactive to Jan. 12 — with a concussion.
In his place, New York has called up Matt Donovan from AHL Bridgeport.
Hamonic, 23, hasn’t played since a 4-2 win over Dallas on Jan. 12, missing the Islanders’ last eight games as a result. The team, which wasn’t exactly a defensive juggernaut to begin with, has struggled without Hamonic’s services and surrendered 32 goals in the eight games he’s been out of the lineup.
According to the New York Post, Hamonic won’t practice today at Yankee Stadium and won’t play in tomorrow’s Stadium Series game against the Rangers.
Hamonic averages 24:57 per game and, at the time of his injury, led all Isles defensemen in hits (67) while sitting third in blocked shots (82). He doesn’t have a history of concussions, but did miss time in Feb. ’12 with facial fractures after taking a puck to the face.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)