Jan 28, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
One day after joining the team for a full skate, Isles d-man Travis Hamonic has been placed on injured reserve — retroactive to Jan. 12 — with a concussion.
In his place, New York has called up Matt Donovan from AHL Bridgeport.
Hamonic, 23, hasn’t played since a 4-2 win over Dallas on Jan. 12, missing the Islanders’ last eight games as a result. The team, which wasn’t exactly a defensive juggernaut to begin with, has struggled without Hamonic’s services and surrendered 32 goals in the eight games he’s been out of the lineup.
According to the New York Post, Hamonic won’t practice today at Yankee Stadium and won’t play in tomorrow’s Stadium Series game against the Rangers.
Hamonic averages 24:57 per game and, at the time of his injury, led all Isles defensemen in hits (67) while sitting third in blocked shots (82). He doesn’t have a history of concussions, but did miss time in Feb. ’12 with facial fractures after taking a puck to the face.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 24
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 73
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (74)