Jan 28, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals can almost pencil in strong outputs from Alex Ovechkin, but if Mike Green can produce more often, they might just avoid another dire slump. The streaky defenseman scored twice on Tuesday, including the OT-clincher that gave the Caps a 5-4 overtime win against the Buffalo Sabres.
Here’s that Green goal, which is his seventh tally of 2013-14:
These highlights include two-goal nights from Green and Alex Ovechkin (who also had two assists on Tuesday):
While Washington would probably like to see the offense spread around a bit, the Caps are still probably happy to post two five-goal games in a row. After all, they only managed three goals in four games from Jan. 17-24 and were limited to eight during their seven-game losing streak.
Sure, these two wins came against a struggling (though generally solid) Montreal Canadiens team and the lowly Sabres, but Green and the Caps will take what they can get.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)