Jan 28, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals can almost pencil in strong outputs from Alex Ovechkin, but if Mike Green can produce more often, they might just avoid another dire slump. The streaky defenseman scored twice on Tuesday, including the OT-clincher that gave the Caps a 5-4 overtime win against the Buffalo Sabres.
Here’s that Green goal, which is his seventh tally of 2013-14:
These highlights include two-goal nights from Green and Alex Ovechkin (who also had two assists on Tuesday):
While Washington would probably like to see the offense spread around a bit, the Caps are still probably happy to post two five-goal games in a row. After all, they only managed three goals in four games from Jan. 17-24 and were limited to eight during their seven-game losing streak.
Sure, these two wins came against a struggling (though generally solid) Montreal Canadiens team and the lowly Sabres, but Green and the Caps will take what they can get.
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 2
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 16
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)