Jan 28, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals can almost pencil in strong outputs from Alex Ovechkin, but if Mike Green can produce more often, they might just avoid another dire slump. The streaky defenseman scored twice on Tuesday, including the OT-clincher that gave the Caps a 5-4 overtime win against the Buffalo Sabres.
Here’s that Green goal, which is his seventh tally of 2013-14:
These highlights include two-goal nights from Green and Alex Ovechkin (who also had two assists on Tuesday):
While Washington would probably like to see the offense spread around a bit, the Caps are still probably happy to post two five-goal games in a row. After all, they only managed three goals in four games from Jan. 17-24 and were limited to eight during their seven-game losing streak.
Sure, these two wins came against a struggling (though generally solid) Montreal Canadiens team and the lowly Sabres, but Green and the Caps will take what they can get.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25