Jan 28, 2014, 11:57 AM EST
To hear GM Dale Tallon explain it, the Florida Panthers have zero plans of moving Tim Thomas.
“No,” Tallon said, when asked by ESPN’s Craig Custance. “No. But if he came to me and wanted to move, that’s a different story.
“I have no intention of moving him.”
Thomas, 39, has been a steadying presence for the Panthers this season, going 14-14-3 with a .912 save percentage and 2.65 GAA. But with Florida heading into tonight’s action eight points back of a playoff spot, Thomas — a pending UFA with a modest ($2.5 million) cap hit — could be the ideal pickup for a team looking to solidify its backup netminding for the playoffs.
Thomas said he’s “done some thinking” about the situation — he has a no-movement clause and essentially controls his own fate — but said he’s yet to discuss the situation with the team.
The next six games could really put the picture into focus. After what should be an emotional game for Thomas in Boston tonight, the Panthers play Toronto twice along with Columbus, Detroit and Carolina — the latter three all sitting within eight points in the standings.
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 0
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 5
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)