Jan 28, 2014, 11:57 AM EST
To hear GM Dale Tallon explain it, the Florida Panthers have zero plans of moving Tim Thomas.
“No,” Tallon said, when asked by ESPN’s Craig Custance. “No. But if he came to me and wanted to move, that’s a different story.
“I have no intention of moving him.”
Thomas, 39, has been a steadying presence for the Panthers this season, going 14-14-3 with a .912 save percentage and 2.65 GAA. But with Florida heading into tonight’s action eight points back of a playoff spot, Thomas — a pending UFA with a modest ($2.5 million) cap hit — could be the ideal pickup for a team looking to solidify its backup netminding for the playoffs.
Thomas said he’s “done some thinking” about the situation — he has a no-movement clause and essentially controls his own fate — but said he’s yet to discuss the situation with the team.
The next six games could really put the picture into focus. After what should be an emotional game for Thomas in Boston tonight, the Panthers play Toronto twice along with Columbus, Detroit and Carolina — the latter three all sitting within eight points in the standings.
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 0
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 16
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 27
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 63
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)