Jan 28, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT
To hear GM Dale Tallon explain it, the Florida Panthers have zero plans of moving Tim Thomas.
“No,” Tallon said, when asked by ESPN’s Craig Custance. “No. But if he came to me and wanted to move, that’s a different story.
“I have no intention of moving him.”
Thomas, 39, has been a steadying presence for the Panthers this season, going 14-14-3 with a .912 save percentage and 2.65 GAA. But with Florida heading into tonight’s action eight points back of a playoff spot, Thomas — a pending UFA with a modest ($2.5 million) cap hit — could be the ideal pickup for a team looking to solidify its backup netminding for the playoffs.
Thomas said he’s “done some thinking” about the situation — he has a no-movement clause and essentially controls his own fate — but said he’s yet to discuss the situation with the team.
The next six games could really put the picture into focus. After what should be an emotional game for Thomas in Boston tonight, the Panthers play Toronto twice along with Columbus, Detroit and Carolina — the latter three all sitting within eight points in the standings.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)