Jan 28, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT
To hear GM Dale Tallon explain it, the Florida Panthers have zero plans of moving Tim Thomas.
“No,” Tallon said, when asked by ESPN’s Craig Custance. “No. But if he came to me and wanted to move, that’s a different story.
“I have no intention of moving him.”
Thomas, 39, has been a steadying presence for the Panthers this season, going 14-14-3 with a .912 save percentage and 2.65 GAA. But with Florida heading into tonight’s action eight points back of a playoff spot, Thomas — a pending UFA with a modest ($2.5 million) cap hit — could be the ideal pickup for a team looking to solidify its backup netminding for the playoffs.
Thomas said he’s “done some thinking” about the situation — he has a no-movement clause and essentially controls his own fate — but said he’s yet to discuss the situation with the team.
The next six games could really put the picture into focus. After what should be an emotional game for Thomas in Boston tonight, the Panthers play Toronto twice along with Columbus, Detroit and Carolina — the latter three all sitting within eight points in the standings.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)