Jan 28, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
Republic: Over the weekend, you were at Dodger Stadium to take in the outdoor game between the Kings and Ducks. What did you make of it?
Gosbee: After seeing it there, I’m even more convinced that we could do it in Arizona. Obviously, we’ve been pretty vocal about wanting to do it and hopefully we’ve presented a good case. We know there’s lots of other teams that want it. It’s such a unique event. We’re going to keep trying to get it in Arizona, and after seeing it in LA, I’m sure it could work in Phoenix.
According to a December report from the Canadian Press, the Coyotes floated the idea to hold a game around the time of the Super Bowl, set for next February at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale. It’s believed that Chase Field — home of the MLB’s Arizona Diamondbacks — would be the most logical location, given it has a retractable roof.
As you can imagine, the ‘Yotes are keen on getting an outdoor event.
“It wouldn’t be the impact of the revenue from that particular game, it would be the impact that that game would have on us in selling tickets throughout the year,” Coyotes president and CEO Anthony LeBlanc said, back in December. “Our view is that would certainly help us in driving more season tickets, it would help us in driving (partial season-ticket plans).
“It’s just bringing more attention to the sport.”
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 14
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 50
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 38
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)