Jan 28, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
Twenty games was enough for Cody Ceci to show he deserved to be in the NHL.
On Tuesday, Ottawa informed Ceci that he’d be sticking with the team for the remainder of the season, a decision that could have a ripple effect as the trade deadline draws near.
Here’s more, from the Ottawa Citizen:
Since Ceci has arrived, the Senators have gone 9-4-2 and, as owner Eugene Melnyk said Monday, the desperate, league wide search for a defenceman with offensive instincts has been put on hold. In fact, the Senators are now dealing with the new math problem — that eight defenceman is more than enough. The next move could be subtraction rather than addition.
During Ceci’s stint with the Senators, Patrick Wiercioch has had a stretch of being a healthy scratch for eight of 10 games. Eric Gryba has sat out eight of 13 games. Joe Corvo has missed six of 10 games.
Even veteran Marc Methot hasn’t been safe. The 28-year-old rearguard has been a healthy scratch on a few occasions this season, despite being a vital contributor last season (11 points in 47 games while averaging 22:14 TOI per night) and earning an invite to Team Canada’s Olympic orientation camp this summer.
Ottawa is rumored to be in the market for a scoring winger to play alongside Jason Spezza, and could very well move a defenseman — or, defensemen — to get it done.
Ceci won’t be going anywhere, though. Despite only turning 20 in December, the former OHL Ottawa star has played beyond his years and has five points in his first 20 NHL contests, averaging over 18 minutes per game.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)