Jan 28, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
Twenty games was enough for Cody Ceci to show he deserved to be in the NHL.
On Tuesday, Ottawa informed Ceci that he’d be sticking with the team for the remainder of the season, a decision that could have a ripple effect as the trade deadline draws near.
Here’s more, from the Ottawa Citizen:
Since Ceci has arrived, the Senators have gone 9-4-2 and, as owner Eugene Melnyk said Monday, the desperate, league wide search for a defenceman with offensive instincts has been put on hold. In fact, the Senators are now dealing with the new math problem — that eight defenceman is more than enough. The next move could be subtraction rather than addition.
During Ceci’s stint with the Senators, Patrick Wiercioch has had a stretch of being a healthy scratch for eight of 10 games. Eric Gryba has sat out eight of 13 games. Joe Corvo has missed six of 10 games.
Even veteran Marc Methot hasn’t been safe. The 28-year-old rearguard has been a healthy scratch on a few occasions this season, despite being a vital contributor last season (11 points in 47 games while averaging 22:14 TOI per night) and earning an invite to Team Canada’s Olympic orientation camp this summer.
Ottawa is rumored to be in the market for a scoring winger to play alongside Jason Spezza, and could very well move a defenseman — or, defensemen — to get it done.
Ceci won’t be going anywhere, though. Despite only turning 20 in December, the former OHL Ottawa star has played beyond his years and has five points in his first 20 NHL contests, averaging over 18 minutes per game.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 11
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 33
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)