Jan 28, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
Twenty games was enough for Cody Ceci to show he deserved to be in the NHL.
On Tuesday, Ottawa informed Ceci that he’d be sticking with the team for the remainder of the season, a decision that could have a ripple effect as the trade deadline draws near.
Here’s more, from the Ottawa Citizen:
Since Ceci has arrived, the Senators have gone 9-4-2 and, as owner Eugene Melnyk said Monday, the desperate, league wide search for a defenceman with offensive instincts has been put on hold. In fact, the Senators are now dealing with the new math problem — that eight defenceman is more than enough. The next move could be subtraction rather than addition.
During Ceci’s stint with the Senators, Patrick Wiercioch has had a stretch of being a healthy scratch for eight of 10 games. Eric Gryba has sat out eight of 13 games. Joe Corvo has missed six of 10 games.
Even veteran Marc Methot hasn’t been safe. The 28-year-old rearguard has been a healthy scratch on a few occasions this season, despite being a vital contributor last season (11 points in 47 games while averaging 22:14 TOI per night) and earning an invite to Team Canada’s Olympic orientation camp this summer.
Ottawa is rumored to be in the market for a scoring winger to play alongside Jason Spezza, and could very well move a defenseman — or, defensemen — to get it done.
Ceci won’t be going anywhere, though. Despite only turning 20 in December, the former OHL Ottawa star has played beyond his years and has five points in his first 20 NHL contests, averaging over 18 minutes per game.
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 6
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 33
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 12
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 116
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (115)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)