Jan 28, 2014, 8:14 PM EDT
“It was frustrating but as my game’s been going, I feel like I deserved to sit out,” Bickell said. “(Coach Joel Quenneville) wants to get me angry and mad on the ice and bring the physical game.”
Indeed, it’s been an unhappy new year for Bickell, who only has one point and a -6 rating in 11 January games. The season has been rough overall, too, as he’s struggled to score when he hasn’t been sidelined with knee problems.
The 27-year-old entered the season with high expectations thanks to his four-year, $16 million extension and a breakout postseason run, yet he hasn’t gotten on track in 2013-14. Maybe some more time on the sidelines will help him regain that form.
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Philadelphia Flyers at New York Rangers (Game 1) 0
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 24
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 36
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 63