Jan 27, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
From the Daily News:
On Monday morning, after pending restricted free agent Mats Zuccarello scored twice during Sunday’s snowfall, Norwegian online newspaper Nettavisen reported the Rangers and Zuccarello’s representatives at Newport Sports have begun negotiations exploring a potential extension to his one-year, $1.15 million deal.
Zuccarello’s agent, Craig Oster, told the Daily News on Monday afternoon that while nothing new has happened recently, he and the Rangers have had “preliminary talks” and that both expressed satisfaction with their current arrangement and a willingness to revisit that discussion.
Zuccarello is second on the Rangers with 37 points. The 26-year-old is currently signed to a one-year, $1.15 million contract.
Of course, how much Zuccarello costs the club going forward (or is expected to cost the club) has the potential to affect the contract talks of unrestricted free agents Ryan Callahan, Dan Girardi, and Anton Stralman.
Plenty of big decisions remain on the horizon for general manager Glen Sather, including whether or not to buy out the Rangers’ current leading scorer, Brad Richards.
Related: In praise of Mats Zuccarello
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (57)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)