Jan 27, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
From the Daily News:
On Monday morning, after pending restricted free agent Mats Zuccarello scored twice during Sunday’s snowfall, Norwegian online newspaper Nettavisen reported the Rangers and Zuccarello’s representatives at Newport Sports have begun negotiations exploring a potential extension to his one-year, $1.15 million deal.
Zuccarello’s agent, Craig Oster, told the Daily News on Monday afternoon that while nothing new has happened recently, he and the Rangers have had “preliminary talks” and that both expressed satisfaction with their current arrangement and a willingness to revisit that discussion.
Zuccarello is second on the Rangers with 37 points. The 26-year-old is currently signed to a one-year, $1.15 million contract.
Of course, how much Zuccarello costs the club going forward (or is expected to cost the club) has the potential to affect the contract talks of unrestricted free agents Ryan Callahan, Dan Girardi, and Anton Stralman.
Plenty of big decisions remain on the horizon for general manager Glen Sather, including whether or not to buy out the Rangers’ current leading scorer, Brad Richards.
Related: In praise of Mats Zuccarello
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 5
- In praise of John Tavares 13
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 20
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36