Jan 27, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
From the Daily News:
On Monday morning, after pending restricted free agent Mats Zuccarello scored twice during Sunday’s snowfall, Norwegian online newspaper Nettavisen reported the Rangers and Zuccarello’s representatives at Newport Sports have begun negotiations exploring a potential extension to his one-year, $1.15 million deal.
Zuccarello’s agent, Craig Oster, told the Daily News on Monday afternoon that while nothing new has happened recently, he and the Rangers have had “preliminary talks” and that both expressed satisfaction with their current arrangement and a willingness to revisit that discussion.
Zuccarello is second on the Rangers with 37 points. The 26-year-old is currently signed to a one-year, $1.15 million contract.
Of course, how much Zuccarello costs the club going forward (or is expected to cost the club) has the potential to affect the contract talks of unrestricted free agents Ryan Callahan, Dan Girardi, and Anton Stralman.
Plenty of big decisions remain on the horizon for general manager Glen Sather, including whether or not to buy out the Rangers’ current leading scorer, Brad Richards.
Related: In praise of Mats Zuccarello
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25