Jan 27, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
From the Daily News:
On Monday morning, after pending restricted free agent Mats Zuccarello scored twice during Sunday’s snowfall, Norwegian online newspaper Nettavisen reported the Rangers and Zuccarello’s representatives at Newport Sports have begun negotiations exploring a potential extension to his one-year, $1.15 million deal.
Zuccarello’s agent, Craig Oster, told the Daily News on Monday afternoon that while nothing new has happened recently, he and the Rangers have had “preliminary talks” and that both expressed satisfaction with their current arrangement and a willingness to revisit that discussion.
Zuccarello is second on the Rangers with 37 points. The 26-year-old is currently signed to a one-year, $1.15 million contract.
Of course, how much Zuccarello costs the club going forward (or is expected to cost the club) has the potential to affect the contract talks of unrestricted free agents Ryan Callahan, Dan Girardi, and Anton Stralman.
Plenty of big decisions remain on the horizon for general manager Glen Sather, including whether or not to buy out the Rangers’ current leading scorer, Brad Richards.
Related: In praise of Mats Zuccarello
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46