Jan 27, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
Zetterberg won’t play on Tuesday against Philly, further complicating things for Detroit up front. On Sunday, Wings head coach Mike Babcock was forced to put Johan Franzen at center in place of Zetterberg, something the Wings wanted to avoid as Franzen had missed the previous 16 games with a concussion.
“You come to the rink hopeful [Zetterberg is] going to play,” Babcock said, per Fox Sports Detroit. “Because we didn’t have morning skate we didn’t know. Then we got the news and went from there. We would have liked (Johan) Franzen not to play in the middle his first game back.
“When you’re a winger and you got go in the middle it’s great when you’ve played and you got tempo and you’re in the kind of game shape you want to be. But that’s part of life.”
The Wings will also be without Pavel Datsyuk on Tuesday — he’s dealing with a lower-body ailment — meaning Detroit will play Philly for the second time in a row without its dynamic duo.
While Detroit has been getting healthier lately (Franzen, Darren Helm, Jonathan Ericsson and Daniel Alfredsson have all returned over the last week), it’s still dealing with a number of injury issues. Stephen Weiss, Jimmy Howard, Joakim Andersson and Cory Emmerton are all sidelined along with Datsyuk and Zetterberg.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)