Jan 27, 2014, 4:58 PM EST
Zetterberg won’t play on Tuesday against Philly, further complicating things for Detroit up front. On Sunday, Wings head coach Mike Babcock was forced to put Johan Franzen at center in place of Zetterberg, something the Wings wanted to avoid as Franzen had missed the previous 16 games with a concussion.
“You come to the rink hopeful [Zetterberg is] going to play,” Babcock said, per Fox Sports Detroit. “Because we didn’t have morning skate we didn’t know. Then we got the news and went from there. We would have liked (Johan) Franzen not to play in the middle his first game back.
“When you’re a winger and you got go in the middle it’s great when you’ve played and you got tempo and you’re in the kind of game shape you want to be. But that’s part of life.”
The Wings will also be without Pavel Datsyuk on Tuesday — he’s dealing with a lower-body ailment — meaning Detroit will play Philly for the second time in a row without its dynamic duo.
While Detroit has been getting healthier lately (Franzen, Darren Helm, Jonathan Ericsson and Daniel Alfredsson have all returned over the last week), it’s still dealing with a number of injury issues. Stephen Weiss, Jimmy Howard, Joakim Andersson and Cory Emmerton are all sidelined along with Datsyuk and Zetterberg.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 7
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 2
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 10
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 8
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 26
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4