Jan 27, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT
From CSN New England:
“The pickings are slim,” said one Bruins source when asked about the trade market for veteran defensemen.
Boston general manager Peter Chiarelli is being forced to explore the trade market because of the season-ending injury to Dennis Seidenberg. To date, the biggest name that has come up in speculation is Dan Girardi from the Rangers; however, New York GM Glen Sather has said that he’d like to sign all his key unrestricted free agents before the end of the season, a list that also includes Ryan Callahan and Anton Stralman.
It’s possible the B’s go into the playoffs without addressing Seidenberg’s absence, instead allowing their group of relatively inexperienced blue-liners — Matt Bartkowski, Dougie Hamilton, Kevan Miller, and Torey Krug — to show what they can do.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)