Jan 27, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT
From CSN New England:
“The pickings are slim,” said one Bruins source when asked about the trade market for veteran defensemen.
Boston general manager Peter Chiarelli is being forced to explore the trade market because of the season-ending injury to Dennis Seidenberg. To date, the biggest name that has come up in speculation is Dan Girardi from the Rangers; however, New York GM Glen Sather has said that he’d like to sign all his key unrestricted free agents before the end of the season, a list that also includes Ryan Callahan and Anton Stralman.
It’s possible the B’s go into the playoffs without addressing Seidenberg’s absence, instead allowing their group of relatively inexperienced blue-liners — Matt Bartkowski, Dougie Hamilton, Kevan Miller, and Torey Krug — to show what they can do.
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 6
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 2
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 54
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (68)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)