Jan 27, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT
From CSN New England:
“The pickings are slim,” said one Bruins source when asked about the trade market for veteran defensemen.
Boston general manager Peter Chiarelli is being forced to explore the trade market because of the season-ending injury to Dennis Seidenberg. To date, the biggest name that has come up in speculation is Dan Girardi from the Rangers; however, New York GM Glen Sather has said that he’d like to sign all his key unrestricted free agents before the end of the season, a list that also includes Ryan Callahan and Anton Stralman.
It’s possible the B’s go into the playoffs without addressing Seidenberg’s absence, instead allowing their group of relatively inexperienced blue-liners — Matt Bartkowski, Dougie Hamilton, Kevan Miller, and Torey Krug — to show what they can do.
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 3
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 102
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (102)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)