Jan 27, 2014, 12:06 PM EST
From Dan Cagen of the MetroWest Daily News:
John Tavares on Patrice Bergeron: "I've always said he's the hardest player to play against in the league."—
Dan Cagen (@DanCagen) January 27, 2014
OK, so hardly an earth-shattering quote given Patrice Bergeron won the Selke Trophy in 2012. But still, high praise from one of the NHL’s top offensive players.
Via Extra Skater, here’s a chart that lends support to Tavares’ comment:
No idea what you’re looking at? Alright, see how the circle with Bergeron’s name is dark blue? That means he’s got a really good Corsi. Now, see how his name is higher up than most of the other guys? That means he plays against really good players. And, finally, see how he’s to the left of most names? That means he’s starting in the defensive zone more than most of his teammates.
Most Stanley Cup-winning teams have a player like Bergeron. Whether it’s Jonathan Toews in Chicago, Pavel Datsyuk in Detroit, or Anze Kopitar in Los Angeles, these centers have the toughest jobs, and they still fare relatively well offensively.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 20
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 57
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)