Jan 27, 2014, 12:06 PM EST
From Dan Cagen of the MetroWest Daily News:
OK, so hardly an earth-shattering quote given Patrice Bergeron won the Selke Trophy in 2012. But still, high praise from one of the NHL’s top offensive players.
Via Extra Skater, here’s a chart that lends support to Tavares’ comment:
No idea what you’re looking at? Alright, see how the circle with Bergeron’s name is dark blue? That means he’s got a really good Corsi. Now, see how his name is higher up than most of the other guys? That means he plays against really good players. And, finally, see how he’s to the left of most names? That means he’s starting in the defensive zone more than most of his teammates.
Most Stanley Cup-winning teams have a player like Bergeron. Whether it’s Jonathan Toews in Chicago, Pavel Datsyuk in Detroit, or Anze Kopitar in Los Angeles, these centers have the toughest jobs, and they still fare relatively well offensively.
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 2
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56