Jan 27, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
From Dan Cagen of the MetroWest Daily News:
OK, so hardly an earth-shattering quote given Patrice Bergeron won the Selke Trophy in 2012. But still, high praise from one of the NHL’s top offensive players.
Via Extra Skater, here’s a chart that lends support to Tavares’ comment:
No idea what you’re looking at? Alright, see how the circle with Bergeron’s name is dark blue? That means he’s got a really good Corsi. Now, see how his name is higher up than most of the other guys? That means he plays against really good players. And, finally, see how he’s to the left of most names? That means he’s starting in the defensive zone more than most of his teammates.
Most Stanley Cup-winning teams have a player like Bergeron. Whether it’s Jonathan Toews in Chicago, Pavel Datsyuk in Detroit, or Anze Kopitar in Los Angeles, these centers have the toughest jobs, and they still fare relatively well offensively.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)