Jan 27, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
From Dan Cagen of the MetroWest Daily News:
John Tavares on Patrice Bergeron: "I've always said he's the hardest player to play against in the league."—
Dan Cagen (@DanCagen) January 27, 2014
OK, so hardly an earth-shattering quote given Patrice Bergeron won the Selke Trophy in 2012. But still, high praise from one of the NHL’s top offensive players.
Via Extra Skater, here’s a chart that lends support to Tavares’ comment:
No idea what you’re looking at? Alright, see how the circle with Bergeron’s name is dark blue? That means he’s got a really good Corsi. Now, see how his name is higher up than most of the other guys? That means he plays against really good players. And, finally, see how he’s to the left of most names? That means he’s starting in the defensive zone more than most of his teammates.
Most Stanley Cup-winning teams have a player like Bergeron. Whether it’s Jonathan Toews in Chicago, Pavel Datsyuk in Detroit, or Anze Kopitar in Los Angeles, these centers have the toughest jobs, and they still fare relatively well offensively.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 16
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 10
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)