Jan 27, 2014, 3:21 PM EDT
Sounds as though Tampa Bay isn’t giving up on Reto Suri.
Suri, a highly-touted forward out of the Swiss league, was reported to be joining the Bolts last offseason before the proposed deal was shot down by the Swiss Federation (because of a lack of a transfer agreement with the NHL.)
Undeterred, the Bolts sent assistant GM Julien BriesBois to scout Suri last month and appear to be keeping close tabs on the situation at hand.
“We’re not able to negotiate or talk to him about a contract at this time,” Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman said, per the Tampa Bay Times. “His agent is working with the club to see what they can do.
“Whatever he’s able to work out with his Swiss club, it’s out of our hands. There’s nothing we can do at this time.”
According to the Times, Suri is rumored to be exploring a buyout of his contract.
Suri, 24, spent last season with EV Zug of Switzerland’s National League A, scoring 14 goals and 25 points in 48 regular-season contests. He’s played even better with Zug this year — 35 points through 43 games — and was named to the Swiss Olympic roster earlier this month.
Described as a skilled forward with “speed to burn,” Suri rose to prominence during the 2013 World Hockey Championships, where he was a key figure on a Swiss team that captured silver, its first-ever medal at the Worlds in 60 years of competition.
He also tied for the team lead in goals (five) with Wild forward Nino Neiderreiter, and was a hero in the team’s 3-2 upset victory over Canada in the round-robin stage, scoring twice in a shootout on Coyotes goalie Mike Smith.
In a recent interview with Swiss news outlet RTS, Suri said he eventually expects to sign with Tampa Bay.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (43)