Jan 27, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
Steven Stamkos has had plenty of good days as he works to return from a broken leg, but Monday wasn’t one of them.
The Tampa Bay Lightning superstar didn’t feel up to skating with his teammates this morning and opted to instead engage in off-ice workouts.
“Whenever it doesn’t feel good, it’s a little frustrating,” Stamkos admitted to the Tampa Bay Times, even though this doesn’t change the fact that he’s made considerable progress recently.
Stamkos was cleared to engage in light contact over the weekend after an encouraging x-ray on Thursday.
With that in mind, Lightning coach Jon Cooper insisted that Stamkos’ absence on Monday couldn’t be classified as a setback. Cooper added that Stamkos will still accompany the team on their upcoming road trip.
If all goes well, Stamkos will return to the Lightning’s lineup next week and serve Team Canada in the Olympics.
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 92
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 48
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 76
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 63