Jan 27, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets held a two-goal lead for 48:36 minutes, but they still came up short Monday night.
After Derek MacKenzie and R.J. Umberger each found the back of the net within 17 seconds of each other early in the first period, goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky went about the task of shutting down the Carolina Hurricanes.
His efforts were successful until midway through the first period when Eric Staal scored two goals within the span of a minute:
Less than two minutes later, Elias Lindholm won a battle for the puck at the neutral zone, allowing Jordan Staal to maneuver around defenseman Ryan Murray and find the back of the net. Carolina held on after that to earn a 3-2 victory.
Carolina has jumped ahead of Columbus in the battle for third place in the Metropolitan Division. As the Atlantic Division currently controls both of the conference’s Wild Card spots, that means the Blue Jackets have lost their playoff spot entirely.
Columbus will try to bounce back tomorrow against Ottawa while Carolina simultaneously plays in Montreal.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 19
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 18
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 28
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)