Jan 27, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets held a two-goal lead for 48:36 minutes, but they still came up short Monday night.
After Derek MacKenzie and R.J. Umberger each found the back of the net within 17 seconds of each other early in the first period, goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky went about the task of shutting down the Carolina Hurricanes.
His efforts were successful until midway through the first period when Eric Staal scored two goals within the span of a minute:
Less than two minutes later, Elias Lindholm won a battle for the puck at the neutral zone, allowing Jordan Staal to maneuver around defenseman Ryan Murray and find the back of the net. Carolina held on after that to earn a 3-2 victory.
Carolina has jumped ahead of Columbus in the battle for third place in the Metropolitan Division. As the Atlantic Division currently controls both of the conference’s Wild Card spots, that means the Blue Jackets have lost their playoff spot entirely.
Columbus will try to bounce back tomorrow against Ottawa while Carolina simultaneously plays in Montreal.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)