Jan 27, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres could be one of the busier teams at the trade deadline, and new GM Tim Murray knows there will be interest in three key players.
Goalie Ryan Miller and forwards Matt Moulson and Steve Ott are all on expiring contracts and that makes them prime possibilities to be dealt to a contender to help win the Stanley Cup. Murray tells Mike Harrington of The Buffalo News that he’s starting to hear from curious teams about their availability.
“There’s been lots of interaction, a lot of early talking,” he said. “There’s been no real specifics. I think teams are just trying to feel us out, feel me out on what we want to do. There’s certainly been discussions. I’m not sure there’s any artificial deadline. I think people are in a wait-and-see mode, to tell you the truth.”
The NHL has essentially two trade deadlines this season. There’s a full roster freeze during the Winter Olympics starting on February 7 and the actual deadline on March 5. Some teams may look to make a move early so they’re not scrambling to make a move once players return from Sochi.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)