Jan 27, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres could be one of the busier teams at the trade deadline, and new GM Tim Murray knows there will be interest in three key players.
Goalie Ryan Miller and forwards Matt Moulson and Steve Ott are all on expiring contracts and that makes them prime possibilities to be dealt to a contender to help win the Stanley Cup. Murray tells Mike Harrington of The Buffalo News that he’s starting to hear from curious teams about their availability.
“There’s been lots of interaction, a lot of early talking,” he said. “There’s been no real specifics. I think teams are just trying to feel us out, feel me out on what we want to do. There’s certainly been discussions. I’m not sure there’s any artificial deadline. I think people are in a wait-and-see mode, to tell you the truth.”
The NHL has essentially two trade deadlines this season. There’s a full roster freeze during the Winter Olympics starting on February 7 and the actual deadline on March 5. Some teams may look to make a move early so they’re not scrambling to make a move once players return from Sochi.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 23
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 23
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)