Jan 27, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres could be one of the busier teams at the trade deadline, and new GM Tim Murray knows there will be interest in three key players.
Goalie Ryan Miller and forwards Matt Moulson and Steve Ott are all on expiring contracts and that makes them prime possibilities to be dealt to a contender to help win the Stanley Cup. Murray tells Mike Harrington of The Buffalo News that he’s starting to hear from curious teams about their availability.
“There’s been lots of interaction, a lot of early talking,” he said. “There’s been no real specifics. I think teams are just trying to feel us out, feel me out on what we want to do. There’s certainly been discussions. I’m not sure there’s any artificial deadline. I think people are in a wait-and-see mode, to tell you the truth.”
The NHL has essentially two trade deadlines this season. There’s a full roster freeze during the Winter Olympics starting on February 7 and the actual deadline on March 5. Some teams may look to make a move early so they’re not scrambling to make a move once players return from Sochi.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 3
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 8
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)