Jan 27, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres could be one of the busier teams at the trade deadline, and new GM Tim Murray knows there will be interest in three key players.
Goalie Ryan Miller and forwards Matt Moulson and Steve Ott are all on expiring contracts and that makes them prime possibilities to be dealt to a contender to help win the Stanley Cup. Murray tells Mike Harrington of The Buffalo News that he’s starting to hear from curious teams about their availability.
“There’s been lots of interaction, a lot of early talking,” he said. “There’s been no real specifics. I think teams are just trying to feel us out, feel me out on what we want to do. There’s certainly been discussions. I’m not sure there’s any artificial deadline. I think people are in a wait-and-see mode, to tell you the truth.”
The NHL has essentially two trade deadlines this season. There’s a full roster freeze during the Winter Olympics starting on February 7 and the actual deadline on March 5. Some teams may look to make a move early so they’re not scrambling to make a move once players return from Sochi.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 4
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 16
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 20
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)