Sabres GM Murray: ‘Teams are just trying to feel us out’ on trades

Jan 27, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT

Tim Murray AP

The Buffalo Sabres could be one of the busier teams at the trade deadline, and new GM Tim Murray knows there will be interest in three key players.

Goalie Ryan Miller and forwards Matt Moulson and Steve Ott are all on expiring contracts and that makes them prime possibilities to be dealt to a contender to help win the Stanley Cup. Murray tells Mike Harrington of The Buffalo News that he’s starting to hear from curious teams about their availability.

“There’s been lots of interaction, a lot of early talking,” he said. “There’s been no real specifics. I think teams are just trying to feel us out, feel me out on what we want to do. There’s certainly been discussions. I’m not sure there’s any artificial deadline. I think people are in a wait-and-see mode, to tell you the truth.”

The NHL has essentially two trade deadlines this season. There’s a full roster freeze during the Winter Olympics starting on February 7 and the actual deadline on March 5. Some teams may look to make a move early so they’re not scrambling to make a move once players return from Sochi.

As it is, the rumors are well underway for the likes of Moulson and Miller, especially in St. Louis.

1. thailer35 - Jan 27, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Miller and a fifth for Rundblad and Smith?

• westinpat - Jan 27, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Only if Murray flips Smith to another team. His on ice antics drive me nuts and Buffalo doesn’t need a player like that.

• thailer35 - Jan 27, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Psh, fine with me. I don’t want him here either.

2. pmonte3122 - Jan 27, 2014 at 12:22 PM

You’re retarded

• thailer35 - Jan 27, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Sound arguement. Solid counter-proposal as well. Great discussion all around.

3. djshnooks - Jan 27, 2014 at 12:44 PM

It’s reported it will be Ty Rattie, Jaro Halak and a 1st round pick…for Ryan Miller.

• thailer35 - Jan 27, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Source?

• gocaps8 - Jan 27, 2014 at 1:35 PM

I think the Blues get robbed in that deal.

• thailer35 - Jan 27, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Absolutely. Take out Rattie or the 1st and you have starting grounds to work with, but both and Halak for Miller is ridiculous.

4. jhaegs - Jan 28, 2014 at 3:20 AM

Deal needs to get done. Halak and Els won’t get the Blues a cup. Army isn’t getting rid of Jaskin or Rattie. Stewart/Berglund (mostly for cap space), Halak, and a 2nd rounder?

I’m tired of not having a goalie that can bail the team out like Miller, Quick, Rask, etc. The Sabres only points would come from OTL’s if not for Miller. I would rather see Allen in net during the playoffs, than watch Jaro or Els give up 2 goals in the first like they always do.

Caps' 'culture change' proving positive