Jan 27, 2014, 10:34 AM EDT
Guy Boucher is on his way to Switzerland.
Boucher, the former Tampa Bay coach that took the Lightning to within one win of the 2011 Stanley Cup Final, has been hired by SC Bern of the Swiss National “A” League. He replaces ex-Ottawa forward Antti Törmänen as Bern’s bench boss.
The 42-year-old Boucher quickly rose through the coaching ranks to land the gig in Tampa, going from QMJHL Drummondville to AHL Hamilton to the Lightning in a three-year span between 2008-10. His first season with the Bolts was a huge success, as the team won 46 games (up from 34 the year prior) before defeating Pittsburgh and Washington en route to a Eastern Conference Final showdown with eventual Cup champs Boston.
The Bolts pushed the Bruins to the brink before eventually losing in 1-0 in Game 7.
Boucher failed to find similar success in following years, however. The Lightning missed the playoffs in 2011-12 and were 13-17-1 before he was fired midway through the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign.
Here’s more on that, from the Tampa Bay Times:
By the end, Boucher had lost some of the confidence of the players and had what was described as “philosophical differences” with general manager Steve Yzerman.
Those differences were never explained, though it was believed some of it concerned the use of Steven Stamkos in late-game situations.
Boucher finished his time in Tampa with a 97-79-20 regular-season mark (.546 winning percentage) and and 11-7 postseason record.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 0
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)