Jan 27, 2014, 10:02 PM EST
The New York Islanders could only match the Bruins blow-for-blow for so long before Boston took charge of tonight’s game. Bruins forward Brad Marchand led the charge with four points in Boston’s 6-3 victory.
The belief was that Islanders defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky‘s playing time would be limited given that he missed the Islanders’ previous 46 contests due to a concussion. Instead, he logged 22:08 minutes and was one of just four New York players to finish the game with a positive plus/minus rating.
Speaking of players coming off of head injuries, Loui Eriksson got on the board early, netting his first goal since returning on Jan. 11 from his second concussion of the season:
Islanders goaltender Kevin Poulin was kept in for all six goals, but was finally chased out by Bruins defenseman Zdeno Chara at 8:12 of the third period. As a result, Evgeni Nabokov (quad strain) played between the pipes for the first time since Jan. 6.
The Islanders have now lost three straight contests to kill the momentum they had been gathering recently. With their chances of making the playoffs looking increasingly bleak, the pressure will intensify for them to either sign or trade Thomas Vanek before the trade deadline.
6th straight game #Isles have allowed at least 3 goals. 42nd time in 55 games this season.
— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) January 28, 2014
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 20
- Mike Richards clears waivers 27
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)