Jan 27, 2014, 10:02 PM EDT
The New York Islanders could only match the Bruins blow-for-blow for so long before Boston took charge of tonight’s game. Bruins forward Brad Marchand led the charge with four points in Boston’s 6-3 victory.
The belief was that Islanders defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky‘s playing time would be limited given that he missed the Islanders’ previous 46 contests due to a concussion. Instead, he logged 22:08 minutes and was one of just four New York players to finish the game with a positive plus/minus rating.
Speaking of players coming off of head injuries, Loui Eriksson got on the board early, netting his first goal since returning on Jan. 11 from his second concussion of the season:
Islanders goaltender Kevin Poulin was kept in for all six goals, but was finally chased out by Bruins defenseman Zdeno Chara at 8:12 of the third period. As a result, Evgeni Nabokov (quad strain) played between the pipes for the first time since Jan. 6.
The Islanders have now lost three straight contests to kill the momentum they had been gathering recently. With their chances of making the playoffs looking increasingly bleak, the pressure will intensify for them to either sign or trade Thomas Vanek before the trade deadline.
6th straight game #Isles have allowed at least 3 goals. 42nd time in 55 games this season.
— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) January 28, 2014
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 0
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 3
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 9
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 8
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 17
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (51)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)