Jan 27, 2014, 10:02 PM EDT
The New York Islanders could only match the Bruins blow-for-blow for so long before Boston took charge of tonight’s game. Bruins forward Brad Marchand led the charge with four points in Boston’s 6-3 victory.
The belief was that Islanders defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky‘s playing time would be limited given that he missed the Islanders’ previous 46 contests due to a concussion. Instead, he logged 22:08 minutes and was one of just four New York players to finish the game with a positive plus/minus rating.
Speaking of players coming off of head injuries, Loui Eriksson got on the board early, netting his first goal since returning on Jan. 11 from his second concussion of the season:
Islanders goaltender Kevin Poulin was kept in for all six goals, but was finally chased out by Bruins defenseman Zdeno Chara at 8:12 of the third period. As a result, Evgeni Nabokov (quad strain) played between the pipes for the first time since Jan. 6.
The Islanders have now lost three straight contests to kill the momentum they had been gathering recently. With their chances of making the playoffs looking increasingly bleak, the pressure will intensify for them to either sign or trade Thomas Vanek before the trade deadline.
6th straight game #Isles have allowed at least 3 goals. 42nd time in 55 games this season.
— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) January 28, 2014
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)