Jan 27, 2014, 1:54 PM EDT
Some interesting stuff out of the Avalanche camp on Monday, as the club announced it would healthy scratch forward P.A. Parenteau for tonight’s game in Dallas.
It’s an interesting decision given Parenteau, who only recently returned from a knee injury that cost him 10 games, has two points in his last three contests while playing nearly 18 minutes in Friday’s 3-2 win over Florida.
Colorado head coach Patrick Roy offered up this explanation for the healthy scratch…
PA hasn’t been playing great but Roy said decision also is based on him having just come off injured list, needing some time to get stronger
— adater (@adater) January 27, 2014
…But, according to TVA’s Renaud Lavoie, the move might be an indication of something else:
One name floating for a possible trade: Avalanche PA Parenteau. A few teams called and heard Canadiens are interested. We’ll see.
— Renaud Lavoie (@LavoieRenaud) January 27, 2014
Parenteau, 30, is in the second of a four-year, $16 million deal signed with the Avs in 2012. He’s been very productive during his time in Denver, scoring 43 points in 48 games during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign, and 26 through 41 games this year.
The Avs have been rumored to be in the market for defensive upgrades, so it’s not surprising to hear Montreal’s in the mix (Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun also reports the Habs’ interest in Parenteau.) The Canadiens have a glut of defenseman on NHL contracts, some good young prospects in the system and need to re-up with P.K. Subban, a restricted free agent at season’s end.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)