Jan 27, 2014, 1:54 PM EST
Some interesting stuff out of the Avalanche camp on Monday, as the club announced it would healthy scratch forward P.A. Parenteau for tonight’s game in Dallas.
It’s an interesting decision given Parenteau, who only recently returned from a knee injury that cost him 10 games, has two points in his last three contests while playing nearly 18 minutes in Friday’s 3-2 win over Florida.
Colorado head coach Patrick Roy offered up this explanation for the healthy scratch…
PA hasn’t been playing great but Roy said decision also is based on him having just come off injured list, needing some time to get stronger
— adater (@adater) January 27, 2014
…But, according to TVA’s Renaud Lavoie, the move might be an indication of something else:
One name floating for a possible trade: Avalanche PA Parenteau. A few teams called and heard Canadiens are interested. We’ll see.
— Renaud Lavoie (@LavoieRenaud) January 27, 2014
Parenteau, 30, is in the second of a four-year, $16 million deal signed with the Avs in 2012. He’s been very productive during his time in Denver, scoring 43 points in 48 games during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign, and 26 through 41 games this year.
The Avs have been rumored to be in the market for defensive upgrades, so it’s not surprising to hear Montreal’s in the mix (Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun also reports the Habs’ interest in Parenteau.) The Canadiens have a glut of defenseman on NHL contracts, some good young prospects in the system and need to re-up with P.K. Subban, a restricted free agent at season’s end.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 5
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 72
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (72)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)