Jan 27, 2014, 1:54 PM EDT
Some interesting stuff out of the Avalanche camp on Monday, as the club announced it would healthy scratch forward P.A. Parenteau for tonight’s game in Dallas.
It’s an interesting decision given Parenteau, who only recently returned from a knee injury that cost him 10 games, has two points in his last three contests while playing nearly 18 minutes in Friday’s 3-2 win over Florida.
Colorado head coach Patrick Roy offered up this explanation for the healthy scratch…
PA hasn’t been playing great but Roy said decision also is based on him having just come off injured list, needing some time to get stronger
— adater (@adater) January 27, 2014
…But, according to TVA’s Renaud Lavoie, the move might be an indication of something else:
One name floating for a possible trade: Avalanche PA Parenteau. A few teams called and heard Canadiens are interested. We’ll see.
— Renaud Lavoie (@LavoieRenaud) January 27, 2014
Parenteau, 30, is in the second of a four-year, $16 million deal signed with the Avs in 2012. He’s been very productive during his time in Denver, scoring 43 points in 48 games during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign, and 26 through 41 games this year.
The Avs have been rumored to be in the market for defensive upgrades, so it’s not surprising to hear Montreal’s in the mix (Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun also reports the Habs’ interest in Parenteau.) The Canadiens have a glut of defenseman on NHL contracts, some good young prospects in the system and need to re-up with P.K. Subban, a restricted free agent at season’s end.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)