Jan 27, 2014, 1:54 PM EDT
Some interesting stuff out of the Avalanche camp on Monday, as the club announced it would healthy scratch forward P.A. Parenteau for tonight’s game in Dallas.
It’s an interesting decision given Parenteau, who only recently returned from a knee injury that cost him 10 games, has two points in his last three contests while playing nearly 18 minutes in Friday’s 3-2 win over Florida.
Colorado head coach Patrick Roy offered up this explanation for the healthy scratch…
PA hasn’t been playing great but Roy said decision also is based on him having just come off injured list, needing some time to get stronger
— adater (@adater) January 27, 2014
…But, according to TVA’s Renaud Lavoie, the move might be an indication of something else:
One name floating for a possible trade: Avalanche PA Parenteau. A few teams called and heard Canadiens are interested. We’ll see.
— Renaud Lavoie (@LavoieRenaud) January 27, 2014
Parenteau, 30, is in the second of a four-year, $16 million deal signed with the Avs in 2012. He’s been very productive during his time in Denver, scoring 43 points in 48 games during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign, and 26 through 41 games this year.
The Avs have been rumored to be in the market for defensive upgrades, so it’s not surprising to hear Montreal’s in the mix (Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun also reports the Habs’ interest in Parenteau.) The Canadiens have a glut of defenseman on NHL contracts, some good young prospects in the system and need to re-up with P.K. Subban, a restricted free agent at season’s end.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 24
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 36
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)