Jan 27, 2014, 1:54 PM EDT
Some interesting stuff out of the Avalanche camp on Monday, as the club announced it would healthy scratch forward P.A. Parenteau for tonight’s game in Dallas.
It’s an interesting decision given Parenteau, who only recently returned from a knee injury that cost him 10 games, has two points in his last three contests while playing nearly 18 minutes in Friday’s 3-2 win over Florida.
Colorado head coach Patrick Roy offered up this explanation for the healthy scratch…
PA hasn’t been playing great but Roy said decision also is based on him having just come off injured list, needing some time to get stronger
— adater (@adater) January 27, 2014
…But, according to TVA’s Renaud Lavoie, the move might be an indication of something else:
One name floating for a possible trade: Avalanche PA Parenteau. A few teams called and heard Canadiens are interested. We’ll see.
— Renaud Lavoie (@LavoieRenaud) January 27, 2014
Parenteau, 30, is in the second of a four-year, $16 million deal signed with the Avs in 2012. He’s been very productive during his time in Denver, scoring 43 points in 48 games during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign, and 26 through 41 games this year.
The Avs have been rumored to be in the market for defensive upgrades, so it’s not surprising to hear Montreal’s in the mix (Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun also reports the Habs’ interest in Parenteau.) The Canadiens have a glut of defenseman on NHL contracts, some good young prospects in the system and need to re-up with P.K. Subban, a restricted free agent at season’s end.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 19
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)