Jan 26, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Detroit Red Wings captain Henrik Zetterberg did not take warm-ups before the start of their game against the Florida Panthers and will not play.
The Red Wings thought they were getting a healthier lineup with Johan Franzen making his return, but instead they’re having to make do without a different key player. Zetterberg missed nearly a month of time during December with a herniated disc.
Detroit is hurting down the middle of the ice. Pavel Datsyuk, Joakim Andersson, Stephen Weiss, and Cory Emmerton are all out with separate injuries. Toss in Zetterberg, who occasionally plays up the middle, and the Wings have some serious problems at the pivot.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 37
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)