Jan 26, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
Detroit Red Wings captain Henrik Zetterberg did not take warm-ups before the start of their game against the Florida Panthers and will not play.
The Red Wings thought they were getting a healthier lineup with Johan Franzen making his return, but instead they’re having to make do without a different key player. Zetterberg missed nearly a month of time during December with a herniated disc.
Detroit is hurting down the middle of the ice. Pavel Datsyuk, Joakim Andersson, Stephen Weiss, and Cory Emmerton are all out with separate injuries. Toss in Zetterberg, who occasionally plays up the middle, and the Wings have some serious problems at the pivot.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 4
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)