Jan 26, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
The start of the New York Rangers vs. New Jersey Devils Stadium Series game at Yankee Stadium has been delayed.
The NHL announced the start of the first outdoor game in New York City was being delayed due to safety concerns over the sun. With the sun high and bright in an overcast sky, the glare on the ice is causing visibility issues as well as other worries about the ice.
The game is now slated to start at 1:38 p.m. ET.
The sun has caused problems for previous outdoor games. The 2012 Winter Classic in Philadelphia was delayed for two hours as they waited for the sun to pass over Citizens Bank Park. The issue then was the direct sunlight and 40 degree temperatures that caused the ice to soften in spots.
The temperature in the Bronx is in the mid-20s, but with the sun being as powerful as it is, it can still cause issues with the ice itself and the rink crew has put a tarp on the ice to protect it.
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 24
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 39
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 65
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (65)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)