Jan 26, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
The start of the New York Rangers vs. New Jersey Devils Stadium Series game at Yankee Stadium has been delayed.
The NHL announced the start of the first outdoor game in New York City was being delayed due to safety concerns over the sun. With the sun high and bright in an overcast sky, the glare on the ice is causing visibility issues as well as other worries about the ice.
The game is now slated to start at 1:38 p.m. ET.
The sun has caused problems for previous outdoor games. The 2012 Winter Classic in Philadelphia was delayed for two hours as they waited for the sun to pass over Citizens Bank Park. The issue then was the direct sunlight and 40 degree temperatures that caused the ice to soften in spots.
The temperature in the Bronx is in the mid-20s, but with the sun being as powerful as it is, it can still cause issues with the ice itself and the rink crew has put a tarp on the ice to protect it.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)