Jan 26, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators are facing the Edmonton Oilers on Sunday without Matt Cullen and Viktor Stalberg, who are dealing with upper-body injuries. Such a predicament forced the Preds to dress seven defensemen tonight.
Both forwards have had their ups and downs in their first seasons with Nashville.
Cullen, 37, integrated into the lineup pretty well at first, but faced recent struggles. He only managed to collect points in one of 10 games to begin January (two assists on Jan. 9), but showed some life lately, with three points in the last two contests. Overall, Cullen has 22 points in 53 contests.
Stalberg, 28, has probably been a bigger disappointment to some who imagined what a player who scored 22 goals as a bit player with Chicago could do with a more heightened role. Instead, he’s been inconsistent, with just 15 points in 47 games. (He had 23 in the same amount of contests with the Blackhawks last season.)
The Tennessean’s Joshua Cooper turns the knife a little deeper on the team’s unsuccessful free agent bids as they face Matt Hendricks and the Oilers tonight:
— JoshuaCooper (@JoshuaCooper) January 27, 2014
- Treliving would be ‘shocked’ if Bennett sticks with Flames in 14-15 3
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 15
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 41
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22