Jan 26, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators are facing the Edmonton Oilers on Sunday without Matt Cullen and Viktor Stalberg, who are dealing with upper-body injuries. Such a predicament forced the Preds to dress seven defensemen tonight.
Both forwards have had their ups and downs in their first seasons with Nashville.
Cullen, 37, integrated into the lineup pretty well at first, but faced recent struggles. He only managed to collect points in one of 10 games to begin January (two assists on Jan. 9), but showed some life lately, with three points in the last two contests. Overall, Cullen has 22 points in 53 contests.
Stalberg, 28, has probably been a bigger disappointment to some who imagined what a player who scored 22 goals as a bit player with Chicago could do with a more heightened role. Instead, he’s been inconsistent, with just 15 points in 47 games. (He had 23 in the same amount of contests with the Blackhawks last season.)
The Tennessean’s Joshua Cooper turns the knife a little deeper on the team’s unsuccessful free agent bids as they face Matt Hendricks and the Oilers tonight:
— JoshuaCooper (@JoshuaCooper) January 27, 2014
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 65
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)