Jan 26, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators are facing the Edmonton Oilers on Sunday without Matt Cullen and Viktor Stalberg, who are dealing with upper-body injuries. Such a predicament forced the Preds to dress seven defensemen tonight.
Both forwards have had their ups and downs in their first seasons with Nashville.
Cullen, 37, integrated into the lineup pretty well at first, but faced recent struggles. He only managed to collect points in one of 10 games to begin January (two assists on Jan. 9), but showed some life lately, with three points in the last two contests. Overall, Cullen has 22 points in 53 contests.
Stalberg, 28, has probably been a bigger disappointment to some who imagined what a player who scored 22 goals as a bit player with Chicago could do with a more heightened role. Instead, he’s been inconsistent, with just 15 points in 47 games. (He had 23 in the same amount of contests with the Blackhawks last season.)
The Tennessean’s Joshua Cooper turns the knife a little deeper on the team’s unsuccessful free agent bids as they face Matt Hendricks and the Oilers tonight:
— JoshuaCooper (@JoshuaCooper) January 27, 2014
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (159)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)