Jan 26, 2014, 12:36 AM EST
It was a mismatch on paper, as the Pittsburgh Penguins faced off against the Dallas Stars on Saturday.
However, the Penguins couldn’t match the work ethic of the Stars, and, as a result, fell by a score of 3-0. It marks the second time this week the Penguins went into a game against a team well below them in the standings and were the second best team on the ice when the final buzzer sounded (on Monday, Pittsburgh was soundly defeated by the Florida Panthers).
“We got outworked. We didn’t execute on our chances. They carried the play, especially those first two periods.”
For the Penguins, if there is a positive to take from this week, it was their ability to rebound after a subpar performance. The Penguins’ next game is Monday against the Buffalo Sabres.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 45
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 122
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)