Jan 26, 2014, 12:36 AM EDT
It was a mismatch on paper, as the Pittsburgh Penguins faced off against the Dallas Stars on Saturday.
However, the Penguins couldn’t match the work ethic of the Stars, and, as a result, fell by a score of 3-0. It marks the second time this week the Penguins went into a game against a team well below them in the standings and were the second best team on the ice when the final buzzer sounded (on Monday, Pittsburgh was soundly defeated by the Florida Panthers).
“We got outworked. We didn’t execute on our chances. They carried the play, especially those first two periods.”
For the Penguins, if there is a positive to take from this week, it was their ability to rebound after a subpar performance. The Penguins’ next game is Monday against the Buffalo Sabres.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54