Jan 26, 2014, 8:06 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers might not be among the East’s best, and they cannot seem to score on the power play, but they’re proving pesky against some of the league’s biggest names. That continued on Sunday, as they came back from a two-goal deficit to force overtime and eventually beat the Detroit Red Wings 5-4 via a shootout.
With that, the Panthers have won three of four against the Red Wings and two of three against the Pittsburgh Penguins this season. Not bad for a team that is 21-24-7.
Both squads should be worried about some trends that continued tonight, though.
- The Miami Herald’s George Richards points out that Florida hasn’t scored in its last 42 power-play opportunities. Their last one came on Dec. 28 (against the Red Wings). Oddly enough, they’ve scored three times shorthanded during that span, including Brad Boyes‘ game-tying goal.
- Good for Florida: Tim Thomas is now 6-2 in shootouts (Florida is only 7-5 overall). The Red Wings are a paltry 3-8.
- The Red Wings are now just 9-11-8 at home this season. They came into Sunday having won three of four in Detroit, so maybe they’re turning things around big picture-wise.
The Panthers organization got the best of Detroit today in general, as the team points out that the San Antonio Rampage came back against the Grand Rapids Griffins in the AHL.
Apr 20, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT
“You can’t defend on your heels,” Ryan Suter said.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:35 AM EDT
Colorado overcomes some strange officiating late in Game 2.
Apr 19, 2014, 11:56 PM EDT
Colorado’s rookie sensation is inspiring some bold words.
Apr 19, 2014, 11:19 PM EDT
Colorado might want to keep Gabriel Landeskog and Nathan MacKinnon together.
Apr 19, 2014, 10:54 PM EDT
Special teams factored in.
Apr 19, 2014, 10:37 PM EDT
Apr 19, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT
The defenseman last played in the first period.
Apr 19, 2014, 10:18 PM EDT
He’s clearly not wilting in the postseason spotlight.
Apr 19, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Columbus has been in the NHL since the 2000-01 season.
Apr 19, 2014, 8:52 PM EDT
More magic from Paul Stastny?
Apr 19, 2014, 8:36 PM EDT
Quite a busy 2:26 of ice time.
Apr 19, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
“I have to be better.”
Apr 19, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT
The Blues coach mostly pleads the fifth.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT
His play may wind up costing him a suspension.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Pittsburgh carries a 1-0 series lead into Saturday.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT
Things changed fast late in the third period.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:11 PM EDT
His penalty got things going in the wrong direction for Chicago.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:34 PM EDT
Memo to players: wear a cup.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:08 PM EDT
His goal is the difference in the game through two.
Apr 19, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
He’s been out since March 29 with a knee injury.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7