Jan 26, 2014, 8:06 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers might not be among the East’s best, and they cannot seem to score on the power play, but they’re proving pesky against some of the league’s biggest names. That continued on Sunday, as they came back from a two-goal deficit to force overtime and eventually beat the Detroit Red Wings 5-4 via a shootout.
With that, the Panthers have won three of four against the Red Wings and two of three against the Pittsburgh Penguins this season. Not bad for a team that is 21-24-7.
Both squads should be worried about some trends that continued tonight, though.
- The Miami Herald’s George Richards points out that Florida hasn’t scored in its last 42 power-play opportunities. Their last one came on Dec. 28 (against the Red Wings). Oddly enough, they’ve scored three times shorthanded during that span, including Brad Boyes‘ game-tying goal.
- Good for Florida: Tim Thomas is now 6-2 in shootouts (Florida is only 7-5 overall). The Red Wings are a paltry 3-8.
- The Red Wings are now just 9-11-8 at home this season. They came into Sunday having won three of four in Detroit, so maybe they’re turning things around big picture-wise.
The Panthers organization got the best of Detroit today in general, as the team points out that the San Antonio Rampage came back against the Grand Rapids Griffins in the AHL.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 29
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 8
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (29)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)