Jan 26, 2014, 8:06 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers might not be among the East’s best, and they cannot seem to score on the power play, but they’re proving pesky against some of the league’s biggest names. That continued on Sunday, as they came back from a two-goal deficit to force overtime and eventually beat the Detroit Red Wings 5-4 via a shootout.
With that, the Panthers have won three of four against the Red Wings and two of three against the Pittsburgh Penguins this season. Not bad for a team that is 21-24-7.
Both squads should be worried about some trends that continued tonight, though.
- The Miami Herald’s George Richards points out that Florida hasn’t scored in its last 42 power-play opportunities. Their last one came on Dec. 28 (against the Red Wings). Oddly enough, they’ve scored three times shorthanded during that span, including Brad Boyes‘ game-tying goal.
- Good for Florida: Tim Thomas is now 6-2 in shootouts (Florida is only 7-5 overall). The Red Wings are a paltry 3-8.
- The Red Wings are now just 9-11-8 at home this season. They came into Sunday having won three of four in Detroit, so maybe they’re turning things around big picture-wise.
The Panthers organization got the best of Detroit today in general, as the team points out that the San Antonio Rampage came back against the Grand Rapids Griffins in the AHL.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 8
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 4
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 12
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 28
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)