Jan 26, 2014, 8:06 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers might not be among the East’s best, and they cannot seem to score on the power play, but they’re proving pesky against some of the league’s biggest names. That continued on Sunday, as they came back from a two-goal deficit to force overtime and eventually beat the Detroit Red Wings 5-4 via a shootout.
With that, the Panthers have won three of four against the Red Wings and two of three against the Pittsburgh Penguins this season. Not bad for a team that is 21-24-7.
Both squads should be worried about some trends that continued tonight, though.
- The Miami Herald’s George Richards points out that Florida hasn’t scored in its last 42 power-play opportunities. Their last one came on Dec. 28 (against the Red Wings). Oddly enough, they’ve scored three times shorthanded during that span, including Brad Boyes‘ game-tying goal.
- Good for Florida: Tim Thomas is now 6-2 in shootouts (Florida is only 7-5 overall). The Red Wings are a paltry 3-8.
- The Red Wings are now just 9-11-8 at home this season. They came into Sunday having won three of four in Detroit, so maybe they’re turning things around big picture-wise.
The Panthers organization got the best of Detroit today in general, as the team points out that the San Antonio Rampage came back against the Grand Rapids Griffins in the AHL.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)