Jan 26, 2014, 8:06 PM EST
The Florida Panthers might not be among the East’s best, and they cannot seem to score on the power play, but they’re proving pesky against some of the league’s biggest names. That continued on Sunday, as they came back from a two-goal deficit to force overtime and eventually beat the Detroit Red Wings 5-4 via a shootout.
With that, the Panthers have won three of four against the Red Wings and two of three against the Pittsburgh Penguins this season. Not bad for a team that is 21-24-7.
Both squads should be worried about some trends that continued tonight, though.
- The Miami Herald’s George Richards points out that Florida hasn’t scored in its last 42 power-play opportunities. Their last one came on Dec. 28 (against the Red Wings). Oddly enough, they’ve scored three times shorthanded during that span, including Brad Boyes‘ game-tying goal.
- Good for Florida: Tim Thomas is now 6-2 in shootouts (Florida is only 7-5 overall). The Red Wings are a paltry 3-8.
- The Red Wings are now just 9-11-8 at home this season. They came into Sunday having won three of four in Detroit, so maybe they’re turning things around big picture-wise.
The Panthers organization got the best of Detroit today in general, as the team points out that the San Antonio Rampage came back against the Grand Rapids Griffins in the AHL.
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 2
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)