Jan 26, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
Andrew Ference has been a rock for the Edmonton Oilers this season, but he’ll be out of action tonight against the Nashville Predators and possibly longer.
Oilers coach Dallas Eakins said Ference will be out with a head injury and needs to be evaluated.
“He’s going to be greatly missed. Listen, he’s our captain and competes extremely hard every night,” Eakins said. “He’s been playing against the other teams’ top lines a lot. That is a big hole to fill and the whole group will have to try to pick up his minutes and what he does for our team.”
Ference hasn’t missed a game this season and has averaged over 21 minutes per game on a team that has desperately needed his steady play. Going without him for an unknown amount of time with an injury that’s being treated like it could be a concussion makes what is already a rough season in Edmonton a little tougher.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 3
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)