Jan 26, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
Andrew Ference has been a rock for the Edmonton Oilers this season, but he’ll be out of action tonight against the Nashville Predators and possibly longer.
Oilers coach Dallas Eakins said Ference will be out with a head injury and needs to be evaluated.
“He’s going to be greatly missed. Listen, he’s our captain and competes extremely hard every night,” Eakins said. “He’s been playing against the other teams’ top lines a lot. That is a big hole to fill and the whole group will have to try to pick up his minutes and what he does for our team.”
Ference hasn’t missed a game this season and has averaged over 21 minutes per game on a team that has desperately needed his steady play. Going without him for an unknown amount of time with an injury that’s being treated like it could be a concussion makes what is already a rough season in Edmonton a little tougher.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)