Jan 26, 2014, 1:11 PM EST
Andrew Ference has been a rock for the Edmonton Oilers this season, but he’ll be out of action tonight against the Nashville Predators and possibly longer.
Oilers coach Dallas Eakins said Ference will be out with a head injury and needs to be evaluated.
“He’s going to be greatly missed. Listen, he’s our captain and competes extremely hard every night,” Eakins said. “He’s been playing against the other teams’ top lines a lot. That is a big hole to fill and the whole group will have to try to pick up his minutes and what he does for our team.”
Ference hasn’t missed a game this season and has averaged over 21 minutes per game on a team that has desperately needed his steady play. Going without him for an unknown amount of time with an injury that’s being treated like it could be a concussion makes what is already a rough season in Edmonton a little tougher.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 5
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 6
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 3
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8