Jan 26, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
Andrew Ference has been a rock for the Edmonton Oilers this season, but he’ll be out of action tonight against the Nashville Predators and possibly longer.
Oilers coach Dallas Eakins said Ference will be out with a head injury and needs to be evaluated.
“He’s going to be greatly missed. Listen, he’s our captain and competes extremely hard every night,” Eakins said. “He’s been playing against the other teams’ top lines a lot. That is a big hole to fill and the whole group will have to try to pick up his minutes and what he does for our team.”
Ference hasn’t missed a game this season and has averaged over 21 minutes per game on a team that has desperately needed his steady play. Going without him for an unknown amount of time with an injury that’s being treated like it could be a concussion makes what is already a rough season in Edmonton a little tougher.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)