Jan 26, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
Andrew Ference has been a rock for the Edmonton Oilers this season, but he’ll be out of action tonight against the Nashville Predators and possibly longer.
Oilers coach Dallas Eakins said Ference will be out with a head injury and needs to be evaluated.
“He’s going to be greatly missed. Listen, he’s our captain and competes extremely hard every night,” Eakins said. “He’s been playing against the other teams’ top lines a lot. That is a big hole to fill and the whole group will have to try to pick up his minutes and what he does for our team.”
Ference hasn’t missed a game this season and has averaged over 21 minutes per game on a team that has desperately needed his steady play. Going without him for an unknown amount of time with an injury that’s being treated like it could be a concussion makes what is already a rough season in Edmonton a little tougher.
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 14
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 37
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 149
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (152)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)