Jan 26, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
To say things have gone poorly for the Montreal Canadiens of late would be an understatement.
The Habs have lost four in a row and following their 5-0 thumping at home from the Washington Capitals on Saturday night, the team held a players-only meeting.
“Obviously, we’re not playing good hockey and we need to find a way to turn things around.” captain Brian Gionta said.
“We had three shots through almost the whole second period. Forty minutes of play, we have three shots. We’re off our game. We’ve got to find a way to keep supporting each other and find a way out of this.”
Defense and goal scoring have done Montreal in over their four-game losing streak. They’ve scored five goals in four games and have allowed 19. That’s not going to win games for any team, never mind a team that deals with the kind of fan pressure the Habs get.
Losing one game is enough to cause a stir. Four in a row? Get out the torches and pitchforks. For now, coach Michel Therrien would settle for more than one goal per game.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)