Jan 26, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
To say things have gone poorly for the Montreal Canadiens of late would be an understatement.
The Habs have lost four in a row and following their 5-0 thumping at home from the Washington Capitals on Saturday night, the team held a players-only meeting.
“Obviously, we’re not playing good hockey and we need to find a way to turn things around.” captain Brian Gionta said.
“We had three shots through almost the whole second period. Forty minutes of play, we have three shots. We’re off our game. We’ve got to find a way to keep supporting each other and find a way out of this.”
Defense and goal scoring have done Montreal in over their four-game losing streak. They’ve scored five goals in four games and have allowed 19. That’s not going to win games for any team, never mind a team that deals with the kind of fan pressure the Habs get.
Losing one game is enough to cause a stir. Four in a row? Get out the torches and pitchforks. For now, coach Michel Therrien would settle for more than one goal per game.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 4
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 35
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)