Jan 26, 2014, 12:15 PM EST
To say things have gone poorly for the Montreal Canadiens of late would be an understatement.
The Habs have lost four in a row and following their 5-0 thumping at home from the Washington Capitals on Saturday night, the team held a players-only meeting.
“Obviously, we’re not playing good hockey and we need to find a way to turn things around.” captain Brian Gionta said.
“We had three shots through almost the whole second period. Forty minutes of play, we have three shots. We’re off our game. We’ve got to find a way to keep supporting each other and find a way out of this.”
Defense and goal scoring have done Montreal in over their four-game losing streak. They’ve scored five goals in four games and have allowed 19. That’s not going to win games for any team, never mind a team that deals with the kind of fan pressure the Habs get.
Losing one game is enough to cause a stir. Four in a row? Get out the torches and pitchforks. For now, coach Michel Therrien would settle for more than one goal per game.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 10
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 5
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 39
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)