Jan 26, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
To say things have gone poorly for the Montreal Canadiens of late would be an understatement.
The Habs have lost four in a row and following their 5-0 thumping at home from the Washington Capitals on Saturday night, the team held a players-only meeting.
“Obviously, we’re not playing good hockey and we need to find a way to turn things around.” captain Brian Gionta said.
“We had three shots through almost the whole second period. Forty minutes of play, we have three shots. We’re off our game. We’ve got to find a way to keep supporting each other and find a way out of this.”
Defense and goal scoring have done Montreal in over their four-game losing streak. They’ve scored five goals in four games and have allowed 19. That’s not going to win games for any team, never mind a team that deals with the kind of fan pressure the Habs get.
Losing one game is enough to cause a stir. Four in a row? Get out the torches and pitchforks. For now, coach Michel Therrien would settle for more than one goal per game.
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 2
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 4
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 23
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)