Jan 26, 2014, 10:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets keep doing things that people don’t expect from them, though admittedly in a very small sample size, under Paul Maurice. On Sunday, they overcame the team that, in many ways, feels like the “grown up” version of the Jets, as they beat the Chicago Blackhawks 3-1.
The Jets feature some significant former Blackhawks (especially Dustin Byfuglien and Andrew Ladd) and a former Chicago executive in their GM Kevin Cheveldayoff. Before tonight, they had lost three games to Chicago this season by a combined score of 15-5.
With this win, Winnipeg is now 6-1-0 with Paul Maurice behind the bench.
That’s impressive work, but that promise might wear off if their goaltending sags.
Ondrej Pavelec has been producing outstanding work with a new head coach, yet it was Al Montoya who was standing on his head tonight. Chicago generated a ridiculous 18-2 shot advantage in the first period, yet Brandon Bollig was the only person to beat Montoya. And he was perfect for the rest of Sunday night.
Naturally with a team that just sacked their coach seven games ago, Winnipeg still needs to keep things going to have a real shot at the playoffs. According to Sports Club Stats, this win bumped their playoff odds up 3.1 percent to just 8.3. Still, it’s just late-January, and stranger things have happened.
While Maurice is putting more wins in Winnipeg, the Blackhawks face a rare mini-rut, with three straight losses. After the game, captain Jonathan Toews didn’t provide a positive spin to CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers.
“We threw away another two points,” Toews said. “I don’t have an explanation without saying anything negative.”
Perhaps the explanation is simple enough: they ran into a team with soaring confidence and red-hot goaltending?
Mar 12, 2014, 1:21 AM EDT
He received a minor penalty for the hit.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:04 AM EDT
JVR seems OK, though.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:48 PM EDT
Dallas moves into the second wild card spot for now.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:26 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks aren’t happy about their game, either.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
And an interesting one overall for the East.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Another memorable save for the icon.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
That’s eight in a row for Pittsburgh between these two teams.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
The contest featured his former team the Saginaw Spirit.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
The 20-year-old had been missing since March 3.
Mar 11, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
On the bright side, there’s the Batmobile.
Mar 11, 2014, 7:19 PM EDT
The Pens have won seven in a row vs. Washington, including Monday.
Mar 11, 2014, 5:33 PM EDT
Because there’s a really good chance they will.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
Big development for the ‘Hawks.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
Click for the details.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 11, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
“We played well in the first game, but then it all disappeared.”
Mar 11, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
The sons of George and Brian, respectively.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Whether he does or not will impact the Flyers’ roster.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:41 PM EDT
A big defenseman from Lake Superior State.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT
Burly power forward’s in the midst of a disappointing season.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (59)