Jan 26, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Flyers goalie Steve Mason has had a bit of a rough time of late. Philly has lost seven of their past nine games and in a dogged race in the Metropolitan Division that means trouble.
Mason’s struggles continued on Saturday against the Boston Bruins as he gave up four goals on 19 shots before being replaced by Ray Emery.
Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com hears from the struggling Flyers goalie about how he wants to get back to his early-season winning ways.
“I’m disappointed in not being able to play well enough to get the wins now,” Mason said. “I’d like to improve everything. When you are not having success, it’s easy to overthink things. I try not to do that and stay calm and make sure when we have the opportunity to practice, I try to get better. Unfortunately, we haven’t had a lot of that [practice] time. You get out there and make sure come next game you are ready to go.”
Mason has seen his goals-against average go from 2.14 to 2.64 since the start of December. Seeing that stat balloon by half a goal in two months of work is startling.
If there’s a silver lining here it’s that Mason has shown how good he can be, it’s just a matter of being consistent.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 15
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 88
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 12
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 34
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (90)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)