Jan 26, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Flyers goalie Steve Mason has had a bit of a rough time of late. Philly has lost seven of their past nine games and in a dogged race in the Metropolitan Division that means trouble.
Mason’s struggles continued on Saturday against the Boston Bruins as he gave up four goals on 19 shots before being replaced by Ray Emery.
Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com hears from the struggling Flyers goalie about how he wants to get back to his early-season winning ways.
“I’m disappointed in not being able to play well enough to get the wins now,” Mason said. “I’d like to improve everything. When you are not having success, it’s easy to overthink things. I try not to do that and stay calm and make sure when we have the opportunity to practice, I try to get better. Unfortunately, we haven’t had a lot of that [practice] time. You get out there and make sure come next game you are ready to go.”
Mason has seen his goals-against average go from 2.14 to 2.64 since the start of December. Seeing that stat balloon by half a goal in two months of work is startling.
If there’s a silver lining here it’s that Mason has shown how good he can be, it’s just a matter of being consistent.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 16
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 10
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)