Jan 26, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Flyers goalie Steve Mason has had a bit of a rough time of late. Philly has lost seven of their past nine games and in a dogged race in the Metropolitan Division that means trouble.
Mason’s struggles continued on Saturday against the Boston Bruins as he gave up four goals on 19 shots before being replaced by Ray Emery.
Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com hears from the struggling Flyers goalie about how he wants to get back to his early-season winning ways.
“I’m disappointed in not being able to play well enough to get the wins now,” Mason said. “I’d like to improve everything. When you are not having success, it’s easy to overthink things. I try not to do that and stay calm and make sure when we have the opportunity to practice, I try to get better. Unfortunately, we haven’t had a lot of that [practice] time. You get out there and make sure come next game you are ready to go.”
Mason has seen his goals-against average go from 2.14 to 2.64 since the start of December. Seeing that stat balloon by half a goal in two months of work is startling.
If there’s a silver lining here it’s that Mason has shown how good he can be, it’s just a matter of being consistent.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 10
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 107
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (108)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (78)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)