Jan 26, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
The Rangers rattled off six consecutive goals after getting down 3-1 in the first period to go on and beat the Devils 7-3. Mats Zuccarello had two goals and Dominic Moore and Marc Staal each had a goal and an assist to lead the way.
Henrik Lundqvist started off a little shaky but held strong and stopped 19 shots. On the other side, Martin Brodeur was yanked after two periods giving up six goals in 21 shots. Cory Schneider allowed a penalty shot goal to Derek Stepan for the only blemish on his record.
A few things to discuss in the comments:
– It wasn’t a controversial choice to start Brodeur over Schneider in this game. For as well as Schneider has been playing this season, today’s result won’t do much to make Brodeur fans’ case for him to start more often.
– Rick Nash had a goal and it was his 11th goal in the past 11 games. He’s been playing great since being named to Team Canada.
– Jagr passed former teammate Mario Lemieux on the NHL’s all-time assist list with his assist on Elias’ second goal. He has 1,035 helpers in his career and sits 10th in league history. He’s five assists behind Marcel Dionne in ninth and 14 behind Gordie Howe in eighth.
– We all like penalty shot goals, right? Here’s Stepan in the third period against Schneider:
– The Rangers hold on to second place in the Metropolitan Division with the win and keep the Devils off their heels for another day.
– The seven goals allowed were a season-high for the Devils. It’s the second time this season the Rangers have scored seven (Jan. 4 at Toronto).
Apr 19, 2014, 1:57 AM EDT
“We should have been 5-on-3.”
Apr 19, 2014, 1:29 AM EDT
Ryan Getzlaf, Frederik Andersen and Corey Perry “are winning that battle,” he said.
Apr 19, 2014, 12:56 AM EDT
Eventful last few days for the captain.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:59 PM EDT
“It was one individual effort that made the difference today.”
Apr 18, 2014, 11:14 PM EDT
Apr 18, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
Bolts just needed a spark, he explained.
Apr 18, 2014, 10:27 PM EDT
There was no penalty on the play.
Apr 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Jimmy Howard had a shutout in the goaltending duel.
Apr 18, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Can Dallas build on its late-game momentum?
Apr 18, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
Game 3 will be played in Montreal.
Apr 18, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
Naturally, the Blackhawks-Blues triple-overtime game was very popular.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:51 PM EDT
Detroit was near the bottom of the pack in hits in the regular season.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT
They took a 1-0 lead over Tampa Bay in the process.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT
“We expected a tough series against (St. Louis).”
Apr 18, 2014, 7:43 PM EDT
The rookie had three assists last night.
Apr 18, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
The last of the first round series is about to begin.
Apr 18, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT
Montreal has a 1-0 series lead.
Apr 18, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
This isn’t the first time he’s been fined.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT
That’s a pretty bold statement, given that Nashville used to have blueliners like Kimmo Timonen and Ryan Suter.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
Apparently, the “Coyotes, Ducks, Kings, and Sharks are on board” with relocating their minor-league affiliates closer to home.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63