Jan 26, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
The Rangers rattled off six consecutive goals after getting down 3-1 in the first period to go on and beat the Devils 7-3. Mats Zuccarello had two goals and Dominic Moore and Marc Staal each had a goal and an assist to lead the way.
Henrik Lundqvist started off a little shaky but held strong and stopped 19 shots. On the other side, Martin Brodeur was yanked after two periods giving up six goals in 21 shots. Cory Schneider allowed a penalty shot goal to Derek Stepan for the only blemish on his record.
A few things to discuss in the comments:
– It wasn’t a controversial choice to start Brodeur over Schneider in this game. For as well as Schneider has been playing this season, today’s result won’t do much to make Brodeur fans’ case for him to start more often.
– Rick Nash had a goal and it was his 11th goal in the past 11 games. He’s been playing great since being named to Team Canada.
– Jagr passed former teammate Mario Lemieux on the NHL’s all-time assist list with his assist on Elias’ second goal. He has 1,035 helpers in his career and sits 10th in league history. He’s five assists behind Marcel Dionne in ninth and 14 behind Gordie Howe in eighth.
– We all like penalty shot goals, right? Here’s Stepan in the third period against Schneider:
– The Rangers hold on to second place in the Metropolitan Division with the win and keep the Devils off their heels for another day.
– The seven goals allowed were a season-high for the Devils. It’s the second time this season the Rangers have scored seven (Jan. 4 at Toronto).
Apr 24, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Will Andersen or Hiller start in Game 5?
Apr 24, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
“I think he likes the big stage.”
Apr 24, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
Elsewhere, Detroit will play Boston and Colorado will face the Wild.
Apr 24, 2014, 1:59 AM EDT
The Blackhawks gave the Blues a taste of their own medicine.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:52 AM EDT
Another memorable moment for the American star.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:25 AM EDT
The NFL defensive back strategy.
Apr 23, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Nice gesture … bad sign?
Apr 23, 2014, 11:04 PM EDT
Nick Foligno called his goal ahead of time.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT
Just a nightmarish evening for Anaheim.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT
Is history repeating itself?
Apr 23, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
Pittsburgh once again can’t hold a team to less than three goals.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Many wonder why he played the puck.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
He was hurt on Saturday.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:27 PM EDT
We ask, you answer.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
He was punished for a knee-on-knee hit to Colorado’s Tyson Barrie.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:37 PM EDT
Chicago is trying to even the series.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
But Pittsburgh’s lead is far from secure.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:47 PM EDT
He was second in the regular season scoring race.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
San Jose will go for the sweep on Thursday.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
Nick Schultz took his place.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 19
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 80
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 96
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)