Jan 26, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT
Martin Brodeur only played through two periods before being pulled during Sunday’s 2014 Stadium Series loss, but he still dominated the headlines today.
For one thing, he said that he encouraged New Jersey Devils head coach Peter DeBoer to pull him in favor of Cory Schneider, ostensibly so the young netminder could play at Yankee Stadium. The splashier quote comes when he seems to bash the playing conditions more than his play (allowing six goals on just 21 shots in a 7-3 loss to the New York Rangers).
“Worst ice I ever played hockey on,” Brodeur said, according to Rich Chere of the Newark Star-Ledger. “Everything was great … Except for the hockey game.”
Well, at least he likes Jersey Boys.
The 41-year-old seemed to chalk it up to bad bounces, as the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti reports.
“In a game like that, sometimes you know as a goalie, like today, the puck didn’t hit me,” Brodeur said. “It was just one of those days …”
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 46
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)