Jan 26, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT
For the players, the on-ice action might have been mixed (and oddly fitting: ecstatic in Los Angeles, sarcastic in New York City), but Gary Bettman provided the first two games of the 2014 Stadium Series with effusive praise.
“The first two games of the 2014 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series – played on two coasts, under two wild extremes of climate – provided all the best elements our sport can offer our fans,” Bettman said in a statement.
“Within 16 hours, two of the most-revered venues in sports welcomed more than 100,000 fans to sit under the sky and enjoy two of the fiercest rivalries in the National Hockey League. The games were spectacular, the images were unforgettable and the sheer energy our sport creates was unmistakable. This truly was a remarkable weekend for our fans and our league.”
On Saturday night, the Anaheim Ducks shut out the Los Angeles Kings 3-0 in a game at Dodger Stadium that left players feeling like “rock stars.”
Meanwhile, Sunday afternoon shifted to Yankee Stadium as the sleepy New York Rangers trounced Martin Brodeur and the New Jersey Devils 7-3.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)