Jan 26, 2014, 9:50 PM EST
For the players, the on-ice action might have been mixed (and oddly fitting: ecstatic in Los Angeles, sarcastic in New York City), but Gary Bettman provided the first two games of the 2014 Stadium Series with effusive praise.
“The first two games of the 2014 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series – played on two coasts, under two wild extremes of climate – provided all the best elements our sport can offer our fans,” Bettman said in a statement.
“Within 16 hours, two of the most-revered venues in sports welcomed more than 100,000 fans to sit under the sky and enjoy two of the fiercest rivalries in the National Hockey League. The games were spectacular, the images were unforgettable and the sheer energy our sport creates was unmistakable. This truly was a remarkable weekend for our fans and our league.”
On Saturday night, the Anaheim Ducks shut out the Los Angeles Kings 3-0 in a game at Dodger Stadium that left players feeling like “rock stars.”
Meanwhile, Sunday afternoon shifted to Yankee Stadium as the sleepy New York Rangers trounced Martin Brodeur and the New Jersey Devils 7-3.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 4
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 50
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)