Jan 25, 2014, 11:57 PM EDT
Tyler Johnson snuffed out any chance of a Colorado Avalanche comeback, and did so by recording his first ever hat trick in the National Hockey League.
Johnson, who stands only five-foot-nine-inches tall, opened the scoring in a wild second period, then scored two goals just two minutes and 17 seconds apart in the third to help the Tampa Bay Lightning to a 5-2 win over the visiting Avalanche on Saturday.
Avalanche goalie Sami Aittokallio was making just his second NHL appearance. He was pulled after the second period, allowing three goals on 18 shots. It continued a trend of difficulty for goalies on this night. Sergei Bobrovsky was pulled in the Columbus Blue Jackets’ loss to Buffalo, while James Reimer and Carey Price were each given the hook in their respective games, as well.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 10
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 107
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (107)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)