Jan 25, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets had been rolling right along, then they ran into the Buffalo Sabres on Saturday.
Against the worst team in the Eastern Conference, the Blue Jackets saw their winning streak come to an end at a franchise-best eight games, after losing 5-2 to the Sabres on a night when goalie Sergei Bobrovsky was yanked early in the second period.
Bobrovsky faced only 10 shots in just over 23 minutes, but gave up three goals, including a pair of long, soft ones to Matt Ellis on the backhand and Christian Ehrhoff on a short-handed slap shot from the point with no real traffic in front.
“We’re so used to seeing him play at a high level,” Columbus head coach Todd Richards said, as per NHL.com.
“He really has just about this whole month in the games he’s been a part of. You don’t expect those pucks to go in.”
The Blue Jackets outshot the Sabres 38-22, with Ryan Miller making 36 saves and recording the win for Buffalo.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)