Jan 25, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets had been rolling right along, then they ran into the Buffalo Sabres on Saturday.
Against the worst team in the Eastern Conference, the Blue Jackets saw their winning streak come to an end at a franchise-best eight games, after losing 5-2 to the Sabres on a night when goalie Sergei Bobrovsky was yanked early in the second period.
Bobrovsky faced only 10 shots in just over 23 minutes, but gave up three goals, including a pair of long, soft ones to Matt Ellis on the backhand and Christian Ehrhoff on a short-handed slap shot from the point with no real traffic in front.
“We’re so used to seeing him play at a high level,” Columbus head coach Todd Richards said, as per NHL.com.
“He really has just about this whole month in the games he’s been a part of. You don’t expect those pucks to go in.”
The Blue Jackets outshot the Sabres 38-22, with Ryan Miller making 36 saves and recording the win for Buffalo.
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 0
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 8
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 18
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)