Jan 25, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets had been rolling right along, then they ran into the Buffalo Sabres on Saturday.
Against the worst team in the Eastern Conference, the Blue Jackets saw their winning streak come to an end at a franchise-best eight games, after losing 5-2 to the Sabres on a night when goalie Sergei Bobrovsky was yanked early in the second period.
Bobrovsky faced only 10 shots in just over 23 minutes, but gave up three goals, including a pair of long, soft ones to Matt Ellis on the backhand and Christian Ehrhoff on a short-handed slap shot from the point with no real traffic in front.
“We’re so used to seeing him play at a high level,” Columbus head coach Todd Richards said, as per NHL.com.
“He really has just about this whole month in the games he’s been a part of. You don’t expect those pucks to go in.”
The Blue Jackets outshot the Sabres 38-22, with Ryan Miller making 36 saves and recording the win for Buffalo.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 19
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 42
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)