Jan 25, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets had been rolling right along, then they ran into the Buffalo Sabres on Saturday.
Against the worst team in the Eastern Conference, the Blue Jackets saw their winning streak come to an end at a franchise-best eight games, after losing 5-2 to the Sabres on a night when goalie Sergei Bobrovsky was yanked early in the second period.
Bobrovsky faced only 10 shots in just over 23 minutes, but gave up three goals, including a pair of long, soft ones to Matt Ellis on the backhand and Christian Ehrhoff on a short-handed slap shot from the point with no real traffic in front.
“We’re so used to seeing him play at a high level,” Columbus head coach Todd Richards said, as per NHL.com.
“He really has just about this whole month in the games he’s been a part of. You don’t expect those pucks to go in.”
The Blue Jackets outshot the Sabres 38-22, with Ryan Miller making 36 saves and recording the win for Buffalo.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 11
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 35
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 85
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (87)