Jan 25, 2014, 5:20 PM EST
Security is a major concern going into the Olympic Games in Sochi and the NHL and NHLPA are prepared in case the worst happens.
According to Alan Maki of The Globe And Mail, the NHL and its players will reconsider going to Russia if there is a terrorist strike ahead of the Olympic Games. Maki adds that if there’s a significant attack during the Games, the Canadian men’s team will return home.
The United States has reportedly prepared similar plans to extract any citizens from Russia should problems arise.
Maki hears from NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly about the NHL’s participation in the games amid the safety worries.
“I don’t anticipate having to reconsider our decision to participate, but I’m also not in a position of knowing what the next 15 days will bring. We won’t put our athletes in a situation where it is obvious that their participation would subject them to an unreasonable risk of danger.”
Recent events in Russia, including two suicide bombings in Volgograd, have athletes from around the world concerned. American athletes were recently warned by the State Department to not wear American uniforms outside of the Olympic venues.
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 0
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 42
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)