Jan 25, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
NBCSN continues its coverage of the 2013-14 campaign tonight when the Los Angeles Kings face the Anaheim Ducks at Dodger Stadium at 9:30 p.m. ET. In addition to NBCSN, you can also watch the game online.
The Kings and Ducks are no strangers to each other. With one team in Los Angeles and the other in Orange County, it makes the setting at Dodger Stadium perfect to have a crosstown showdown of sorts.
The first of the NHL Stadium Series games gets underway tonight and for these two teams, familiarity does breed contempt. The Kings and Ducks have split their first two meetings this season with L.A. winning 3-2 in a shootout in December, but the Ducks taking a 2-1 victory at The Pond on Thursday.
The Ducks are on fire of late winning 20 of their past 23 games (20-3-0). Saying they’re “on fire” may not be putting it strong enough, but with a couple losses in their past four games, Bruce Boudreau’s squad won’t be taking it easy. Ryan Getzlaf (27) and Corey Perry (25) are tied as the highest-scoring tandem in the league with 52 goals with Sidney Crosby and Chris Kunitz. Toss in secondary scorers like Dustin Penner, Teemu Selanne, and Saku Koivu (who’s done the outdoor game thing before) and you’ve got a loaded team.
The Kings will try to stifle the Ducks with their defensive style and having potential Team USA Olympic starter Jonathan Quick in goal makes it a little easier to do. Since returning from a groin injury on January 4, Quick is 4-3-2 with a 1.65 goals-against average and a .934 save percentage with one shutout. Those are the kinds of numbers you need if you want to start in Sochi, but the losses have piled up lately (losing four in a row) and the lack of offense can be blamed for that.
One player who hasn’t suffered from a lack of production is Jeff Carter. He has four goals in his past five games and nine points in the past 11 games. The Ducks kept him off the board on Thursday and he’ll be hoping to put a dent in Jonas Hiller and give the Kings a win on what’s almost home ice for them at Chavez Ravine.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 21
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 13
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 64
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)