Jan 25, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
NBCSN continues its coverage of the 2013-14 campaign tonight when the Los Angeles Kings face the Anaheim Ducks at Dodger Stadium at 9:30 p.m. ET. In addition to NBCSN, you can also watch the game online.
The Kings and Ducks are no strangers to each other. With one team in Los Angeles and the other in Orange County, it makes the setting at Dodger Stadium perfect to have a crosstown showdown of sorts.
The first of the NHL Stadium Series games gets underway tonight and for these two teams, familiarity does breed contempt. The Kings and Ducks have split their first two meetings this season with L.A. winning 3-2 in a shootout in December, but the Ducks taking a 2-1 victory at The Pond on Thursday.
The Ducks are on fire of late winning 20 of their past 23 games (20-3-0). Saying they’re “on fire” may not be putting it strong enough, but with a couple losses in their past four games, Bruce Boudreau’s squad won’t be taking it easy. Ryan Getzlaf (27) and Corey Perry (25) are tied as the highest-scoring tandem in the league with 52 goals with Sidney Crosby and Chris Kunitz. Toss in secondary scorers like Dustin Penner, Teemu Selanne, and Saku Koivu (who’s done the outdoor game thing before) and you’ve got a loaded team.
The Kings will try to stifle the Ducks with their defensive style and having potential Team USA Olympic starter Jonathan Quick in goal makes it a little easier to do. Since returning from a groin injury on January 4, Quick is 4-3-2 with a 1.65 goals-against average and a .934 save percentage with one shutout. Those are the kinds of numbers you need if you want to start in Sochi, but the losses have piled up lately (losing four in a row) and the lack of offense can be blamed for that.
One player who hasn’t suffered from a lack of production is Jeff Carter. He has four goals in his past five games and nine points in the past 11 games. The Ducks kept him off the board on Thursday and he’ll be hoping to put a dent in Jonas Hiller and give the Kings a win on what’s almost home ice for them at Chavez Ravine.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63