Jan 25, 2014, 4:23 PM EDT
Earlier today we talked about how the New York Islanders wanted to stop blowing 2-0 leads and close out games. Sure enough, they did neither of those things against the St. Louis Blues this afternoon, but it wasn’t without controversy.
Thomas Vanek scored what he and the Islanders thought was the game-winning goal to salvage the win with 1:15 to go in overtime, only to have it overturned on replay by officials from the NHL War Room in Toronto.
According to the NHL’s Situation Room blog, Vanek kicked the puck past Jaroslav Halak with his left skate. On replay, the only obvious part was that the puck went off Vanek’s skate. Deliberately kicked though? Take a look at the video:
The reaction to the overturned goal around Twitter was strong.
One of the worst non-goal calls I've ever seen — costs the Isles the extra point..so SIX out of the playoffs.—
Greg Brady (@bradyfan590) January 25, 2014
I'm shocked war room in Toronto overruled that OT goal by Vanek. Refs called it a goal.—
Brian Costello (@bcostellothn) January 25, 2014
THAT was a distinct kicking motion vs. Isles?! Oooooh…—
Tracey Myers (@TramyersCSN) January 25, 2014
With neither team scoring in the final seconds after the overturned goal, it was off to the shootout where Kevin Shattenkirk completed the Isles collapse beating Kevin Poulin and giving the Blues a 4-3 win.
Of course, how the Islanders got there is part of this story. Again they jumped out to an early 2-0 lead only to have Blues forward Vladimir Tarasenko score twice to make it a 2-2 game. Matt Martin put the Isles ahead 3-2 in the third, but T.J. Oshie scored with 27 seconds left in the period to tie it 3-3.
We knew they were having issues finishing games, but that’s rough.
Mar 9, 2014, 1:09 AM EDT
A much-needed victory for Vancouver.
Mar 9, 2014, 12:14 AM EDT
Short ones on Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
Roberto Luongo: quiet, so far.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:27 PM EDT
Tyler Seguin is just on fire right now.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
Dallas scored once on the resulting five-minute major penalty.
Mar 8, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
Seeding battles heat up.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Jaroslav Halak wins in his Washington debut.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
He scored the game-winner for New Jersey against Carolina.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:53 PM EDT
A solid Saturday for the Sens.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:24 PM EDT
His No. 9 ascends to the rafters.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:11 PM EDT
His latest acquisitions Matt Moulson and Cody McCormick are set to debut Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
Sounds like he’ll take his talents to Europe instead.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:37 PM EDT
He was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis earlier this month.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:16 PM EDT
Craig Anderson made 46 saves on Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Making a strong first impression in St. Louis.
Mar 8, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
Petr Mrazek will backup Jimmy Howard.
Mar 8, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
The Leafs have called up Frazer McLaren.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
She had a 0.96 GAA and .954 save percentage in the Olympics.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:21 PM EDT
He suffered the injury last Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 2:42 PM EDT
He might not be ready for the start of the playoffs either, should Columbus get that far.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)