Jan 25, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT
There was nothing positive for the Philadelphia Flyers to take from Saturday’s 6-1 loss to the Boston Bruins. It was the classic case of from bad to worse.
“It has to be the most embarrassing game I’ve been involved with,” said Flyers’ captain Claude Giroux, as per Frank Seravalli of the Philadelphia Daily News.
The Flyers, who had battled back into the thick of the Metropolitan Division standings after a bad start to the season, have only three wins in their last 10 games. According to CSN Philadelphia, Flyers’ head coach Craig Berube called his team “fragile” following this latest defeat.
Led by Jarome Iginla and his four-point night – two goals, two assists – the Bruins jumped out to a four-goal lead after 40 minutes and added two more on the power play in the third, nullifying any faint hopes of a Philadelphia comeback.
The Bruins were rested, with a four-day break. The Flyers were playing their third game in four days. One team was refreshed, the other not so much.
“Right from the first shift we were into it,” Iginla told NHL.com. “Every line was ready to go. You don’t get many breaks during the season, and when you get them you want to make the most, show coach you can handle it too.”
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 21
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 33
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)