Jan 25, 2014, 10:44 AM EST
Anaheim Ducks forward Saku Koivu is no stranger to playing outdoors.
He’ll be on the ice on Saturday night for the Stadium Series at Dodger Stadium against the Los Angeles Kings, but he was in the NHL’s first outdoor game in Edmonton in 2003 as a member of the Montreal Canadiens.
As Koivu told the Los Angeles Times, the conditions in L.A. are going to be a bit nicer than they were outside in Edmonton at Commonwealth Stadium.
“You’d grab the puck and by the blue line, you’d have to pass because your eyes were watering so bad, you couldn’t see anymore,” Koivu said. “The heaters on the bench were so hot you wanted to get back out there, but it was so cold.”
Heaters on the bench likely won’t be necessary tonight as temperatures are expected to be in the 50s and 60s. Koivu and the Ducks face the Kings at 10:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN tonight.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)