Jan 25, 2014, 7:36 PM EDT
Devan Dubnyk will return to Edmonton and could face his old team just 11 days after the Oilers traded the goalie to the Nashville Predators.
The struggling Oilers host the Predators on Sunday. It’s unknown at this point whether Dubnyk will get the start against his old team, which he played 171 games for and was a first-round pick of in 2004. He was dealt to Nashville on Jan. 15 for forward Matt Hendricks.
“It’s a quick turnaround coming back,” Dubnyk told The Tennessean.
“It’ll be nice to see my family, my wife and my little boy. I’m looking forward to that a lot, and I spent a lot of time with those guys (the Oilers) too. It’ll be nice to poke my head in and say hi.
“I’ve never been traded or anything like that … It’ll be a new experience for me. But lots of guys do it. It’s something you have to go through. It’ll be a quick turnaround to happen, but it’ll be fun.”
Since the trade, Dubnyk has played only twice for the Predators and has not recorded a win with his new team.
Predators head coach Barry Trotz had a stern critique of Dubnyk’s game following his first start with Nashville on Jan. 18 – a 5-4 loss to the Colorado Avalanche.
“We got Devan from Edmonton, and what we realized very quickly was that Devan has a lot of… I’ll say bad habits he’s picked up this year,” Trotz said earlier in the week.
“We started him at home, and you could really see he was out of sync in his game, so we wanted to spend some time with him working with [goaltending coach] Mitch Korn, just being able to get his game in order.”
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)