Jan 25, 2014, 7:36 PM EST
Devan Dubnyk will return to Edmonton and could face his old team just 11 days after the Oilers traded the goalie to the Nashville Predators.
The struggling Oilers host the Predators on Sunday. It’s unknown at this point whether Dubnyk will get the start against his old team, which he played 171 games for and was a first-round pick of in 2004. He was dealt to Nashville on Jan. 15 for forward Matt Hendricks.
“It’s a quick turnaround coming back,” Dubnyk told The Tennessean.
“It’ll be nice to see my family, my wife and my little boy. I’m looking forward to that a lot, and I spent a lot of time with those guys (the Oilers) too. It’ll be nice to poke my head in and say hi.
“I’ve never been traded or anything like that … It’ll be a new experience for me. But lots of guys do it. It’s something you have to go through. It’ll be a quick turnaround to happen, but it’ll be fun.”
Since the trade, Dubnyk has played only twice for the Predators and has not recorded a win with his new team.
Predators head coach Barry Trotz had a stern critique of Dubnyk’s game following his first start with Nashville on Jan. 18 – a 5-4 loss to the Colorado Avalanche.
“We got Devan from Edmonton, and what we realized very quickly was that Devan has a lot of… I’ll say bad habits he’s picked up this year,” Trotz said earlier in the week.
“We started him at home, and you could really see he was out of sync in his game, so we wanted to spend some time with him working with [goaltending coach] Mitch Korn, just being able to get his game in order.”
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4