Jan 25, 2014, 7:36 PM EDT
Devan Dubnyk will return to Edmonton and could face his old team just 11 days after the Oilers traded the goalie to the Nashville Predators.
The struggling Oilers host the Predators on Sunday. It’s unknown at this point whether Dubnyk will get the start against his old team, which he played 171 games for and was a first-round pick of in 2004. He was dealt to Nashville on Jan. 15 for forward Matt Hendricks.
“It’s a quick turnaround coming back,” Dubnyk told The Tennessean.
“It’ll be nice to see my family, my wife and my little boy. I’m looking forward to that a lot, and I spent a lot of time with those guys (the Oilers) too. It’ll be nice to poke my head in and say hi.
“I’ve never been traded or anything like that … It’ll be a new experience for me. But lots of guys do it. It’s something you have to go through. It’ll be a quick turnaround to happen, but it’ll be fun.”
Since the trade, Dubnyk has played only twice for the Predators and has not recorded a win with his new team.
Predators head coach Barry Trotz had a stern critique of Dubnyk’s game following his first start with Nashville on Jan. 18 – a 5-4 loss to the Colorado Avalanche.
“We got Devan from Edmonton, and what we realized very quickly was that Devan has a lot of… I’ll say bad habits he’s picked up this year,” Trotz said earlier in the week.
“We started him at home, and you could really see he was out of sync in his game, so we wanted to spend some time with him working with [goaltending coach] Mitch Korn, just being able to get his game in order.”
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)