Jan 25, 2014, 7:36 PM EST
Devan Dubnyk will return to Edmonton and could face his old team just 11 days after the Oilers traded the goalie to the Nashville Predators.
The struggling Oilers host the Predators on Sunday. It’s unknown at this point whether Dubnyk will get the start against his old team, which he played 171 games for and was a first-round pick of in 2004. He was dealt to Nashville on Jan. 15 for forward Matt Hendricks.
“It’s a quick turnaround coming back,” Dubnyk told The Tennessean.
“It’ll be nice to see my family, my wife and my little boy. I’m looking forward to that a lot, and I spent a lot of time with those guys (the Oilers) too. It’ll be nice to poke my head in and say hi.
“I’ve never been traded or anything like that … It’ll be a new experience for me. But lots of guys do it. It’s something you have to go through. It’ll be a quick turnaround to happen, but it’ll be fun.”
Since the trade, Dubnyk has played only twice for the Predators and has not recorded a win with his new team.
Predators head coach Barry Trotz had a stern critique of Dubnyk’s game following his first start with Nashville on Jan. 18 – a 5-4 loss to the Colorado Avalanche.
“We got Devan from Edmonton, and what we realized very quickly was that Devan has a lot of… I’ll say bad habits he’s picked up this year,” Trotz said earlier in the week.
“We started him at home, and you could really see he was out of sync in his game, so we wanted to spend some time with him working with [goaltending coach] Mitch Korn, just being able to get his game in order.”
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 3
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)