Jan 25, 2014, 2:58 PM EDT
The goalie matchup when the New Jersey Devils face the New York Rangers at Yankee Stadium on Sunday will have one future Hall of Famer involved.
Devils coach Peter DeBoer announced that Martin Brodeur will get the start against the Rangers, as Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice shares. It sets up a likely battle with Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist for bragging rights over the big ballpark in the Bronx.
The decision to start Brodeur may come as a bit of a surprise when you consider how much better Cory Schneider has played as opposed to Brodeur, but with this being the first outdoor game in Devils history, Brodeur starting was almost a foregone conclusion.
Curiously enough, it will be Brodeur’s 100th career regular season game against the Rangers. He has 49-30-20 record against the Rangers in his career. Getting win no. 50 outdoors would make it an extra special occasion.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 8
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 27
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)