Jan 25, 2014, 2:58 PM EDT
The goalie matchup when the New Jersey Devils face the New York Rangers at Yankee Stadium on Sunday will have one future Hall of Famer involved.
Devils coach Peter DeBoer announced that Martin Brodeur will get the start against the Rangers, as Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice shares. It sets up a likely battle with Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist for bragging rights over the big ballpark in the Bronx.
The decision to start Brodeur may come as a bit of a surprise when you consider how much better Cory Schneider has played as opposed to Brodeur, but with this being the first outdoor game in Devils history, Brodeur starting was almost a foregone conclusion.
Curiously enough, it will be Brodeur’s 100th career regular season game against the Rangers. He has 49-30-20 record against the Rangers in his career. Getting win no. 50 outdoors would make it an extra special occasion.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 11
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)