Jan 25, 2014, 2:58 PM EDT
The goalie matchup when the New Jersey Devils face the New York Rangers at Yankee Stadium on Sunday will have one future Hall of Famer involved.
Devils coach Peter DeBoer announced that Martin Brodeur will get the start against the Rangers, as Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice shares. It sets up a likely battle with Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist for bragging rights over the big ballpark in the Bronx.
The decision to start Brodeur may come as a bit of a surprise when you consider how much better Cory Schneider has played as opposed to Brodeur, but with this being the first outdoor game in Devils history, Brodeur starting was almost a foregone conclusion.
Curiously enough, it will be Brodeur’s 100th career regular season game against the Rangers. He has 49-30-20 record against the Rangers in his career. Getting win no. 50 outdoors would make it an extra special occasion.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 18
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 62
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)