Jan 25, 2014, 2:58 PM EST
The goalie matchup when the New Jersey Devils face the New York Rangers at Yankee Stadium on Sunday will have one future Hall of Famer involved.
Devils coach Peter DeBoer announced that Martin Brodeur will get the start against the Rangers, as Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice shares. It sets up a likely battle with Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist for bragging rights over the big ballpark in the Bronx.
The decision to start Brodeur may come as a bit of a surprise when you consider how much better Cory Schneider has played as opposed to Brodeur, but with this being the first outdoor game in Devils history, Brodeur starting was almost a foregone conclusion.
Curiously enough, it will be Brodeur’s 100th career regular season game against the Rangers. He has 49-30-20 record against the Rangers in his career. Getting win no. 50 outdoors would make it an extra special occasion.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)