Jan 24, 2014, 10:35 AM EST
It’s early, but Barry Trotz is happy with the returns from the Kevin Klein-Michael Del Zotto trade.
“I liked a lot of things he did,” Trotz said of Del Zotto’s debut, a 2-1 win in Vancouver, per The Tennessean. “He had good compete for me, his puck management was really good. Especially since he hadn’t played with us. I was really happy with his effort.”
Del Zotto, acquired from New York on Wednesday, played just over 13 minutes on Thursday and finished with two blocked shots, a hit and a shot on goal. Paired with rookie Seth Jones, Del Zotto played mostly mistake-free hockey throughout the night but, interestingly enough, didn’t get a single second of power-play time.
Last year, Del Zotto led all Rangers defensemen in power play TOI per game (2:54) and has carved a niche for himself as an puck-moving offensive defenseman that thrives with the man advantage. Considering Nashville’s lack of offense and need for creativity, it’s a little surprising Del Zotto was left off the PP unit entirely — though Trotz did say he expected those opportunities to come as the new defensemen gets more comfortable with his surroundings.
As for Del Zotto himself? He was just glad to get a win.
“Getting a win in the first game with a new team feels great,” Del Zotto said. “They put me in positions I could play, and I felt great.”
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)